What's new

Canon Li-ons=$$$

NikonDude

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 30, 2011
Messages
86
Reaction score
2
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Li-Ion used in the Canon ELPH 100 HS and MANY of canon's point and shoots are a 3.7 volt 780mah lithium ion battery.

I can get a brand new 1080 Mah Litihum Ion that will fit for $10 or less.

Where does Canon get off thinking it's battery is worth $60 when you can buy a new one with a higher capacity for ten bucks?
 
That's typical of just about all of the camera batteries....and it's also typical of other camera makers as well.
There are a few recent threads about '3rd party batteries', check them out.

To be fair, you can probably be assured that the Canon battery is high quality, has safety features, is designed specifically for your camera and has gone through a good level of quality control. You probably can't say that about the typical $10 battery But that doesn't mean that the Canon battery is going to work any better for you.

It's not all that different from auto parts. If your Honda/Ford/Chevy etc needs a part, the OEM factory part from the dealership is probably a lot more expensive than the same part from a discount parts store.
 
If you check your Canon warranty, you will discover that it doesn't cover issues caused from using non-Canon parts.
 
TBH, and I don't know much about it, but a close friend had a non-canon battery leak into the body of the DSLR. Bad news, imo. I'll take that extra $50 hit for the peace of mind!
 
TBH, and I don't know much about it, but a close friend had a non-canon battery leak into the body of the DSLR. Bad news, imo. I'll take that extra $50 hit for the peace of mind!
Exactly - $100 batteries or a $2000 body? Hmmmm.... Seems like straight-forward math. Be careful however, as there are a LOT of counterfit batteries out there (I seem to recall a lot of them being Canon about a year or so ago), and they're even worse; you pay for the "real" thing, and it looks like the real thing, but 9 times out of ten, it won't act like the real thing. Batteries are one thing I won't compromise on. Don't even buy name-brand batteries from suspect stores, or at "too good to be true" prices. I prefer to order my batteries direct from Nikon.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom