Canon or Nikon

TimFraccolaPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All my teachers/internships have told me nikon whats the big difference between the two is canon just faster but less quaility?

Canon and Nikon dominate the world marketplace for professional still cameras.

Some prefer one, and some prefer the other... There is no possible way to prove the accuracy of such statements.

All my teachers/internships have told me nikon whats the big difference between the two is canon just faster but less quaility?

There isn't any difference in IQ (period). You mix up a stack of Nikon images with a stack of Canon images and you will be unable to distinguish between the two manufacturers.

CMOS sensors deliver the best IQ at elevated ISO's. All of Canon cameras come with a CMOS sensor ... only the most expensive Nikons come with a CMOS sensor (D90 and better).

Canon lenses tend to be a bit less expensive then similar/equal Nikon glass. Nikon is a lot more sexy looking.

Presently, both manufacturers deliver equally capable cameras with no significant difference between the two in IQ. (A few years ago Canon was clearly top dog but Nikon has completely closed the gap.)

Gary

As I've said before...I went with Nikon because my brother uses Canon...and I don't like him!

Canon lenses tend to be a bit less expensive then similar/equal Nikon glass. Nikon is a lot more sexy looking.
See, I feel the exact opposite. I think the Nikon cameras look plasticy and cheap (shiny buttons and plastic looking red triangles). I think the Canon's look rock solid and heavy duty. I love a more subdued look (black buttons, I dislike chrome or shiny things).

I think the Nikkor lenses look bland, even the high end ones look like kit lenses to me. The Canon red rings and white bodies rock. They scream "high dollar". :)

That's why we have two to choose from, everyone has different tastes. I'm sure there are folks that think Canon looks funky.

As noted, if you're talking about quality of construction or IQ - they're evenly matched. It boils down to personal preference.

See, I feel the exact opposite. I think the Nikon cameras look plasticy and cheap (shiny buttons and plastic looking red triangles). I think the Canon's look rock solid and heavy duty. I love a more subdued look (black buttons, I dislike chrome or shiny things).

I think the Nikkor lenses look bland, even the high end ones look like kit lenses to me. The Canon red rings and white bodies rock. They scream "high dollar". :)

That's why we have two to choose from, everyone has different tastes. I'm sure there are folks that think Canon looks funky.

As noted, if you're talking about quality of construction or IQ - they're evenly matched. It boils down to personal preference.

I think Canon's look clunky and chubby ... like a sister. Nikon look bold and aerodynamically perfect ... like the professional dancer down the street ... the one that drives the Porsche.

But both Nikon and Canon look the same once the viewfinder reaches the eye (not literally).

Yes, with the camera bodies priced at $1,000+ ... it is all about personal preference. For camera bodies priced under $1,000 ... Canon's CMOS sensors are superior to Nikon's CCD sensors.

Gary

Gary

People who have been around in photography for a long time (esp. teachers, whose opinions are often dated to whenever they were in college...) often favor Nikon because in the 70s and 80s Nikon was the camera of choice for professionals. However, with the advent of autofocus, Canon's choice to drop their manual focus mount and replace it with an all-new all electronic mount gave them a huge advantage over Nikon, whose position as market leader forced them to maintain support for the older lenses. A decade later, Canon's ability to build their own digital sensors gave them a major leg up in digital. In the last several years Nikon has closed the gap on both of those fronts, but arguments that they have somehow leapfrogged Canon are simply senseless.

meh there is only one difference (that I have found) between canon and nikon
only one type of image that a canon camera can capture that a nikon cannot
and that is the canon MPE65mm macro - a macro lens that goes from 1:1 to 5:1 magnifiction and does nothing but macro shots (it will not focus on further off subjects at all). Its a highly specilailsed lens and a very tricky one to learn to use well - its not for everybody.

Course nikon also have the worlds only macro lens (1:1) with VR.

Honestly that is the only difference between the two - aside from that nikon and canon are top brand ranges and its only if you have very specific demands of kit that you will be able to notice a difference - and further you need the right skills to take advantage of that difference.

I think Canon's look clunky and chubby ... like a sister. Nikon look bold and aerodynamically perfect ... like the professional dancer down the street ... the one that drives the Porsche.

But both Nikon and Canon look the same once the viewfinder reaches the eye (not literally).

Yes, with the camera bodies priced at $1,000+ ... it is all about personal preference. For camera bodies priced under $1,000 ... Canon's CMOS sensors are superior to Nikon's CCD sensors.

Gary

Gary

Canon's the obvious winner. Especially the 5D MKII. You turn it one and it puts out. It puts out huge and amazing. It'll blow your mind.

Nikon's D700 has all kinds of buttons you have to push first just to get it going, then when it puts out, it's like the 5D MKII's 3 year old sister. It's not quite as impressive and you can't even do it in the dark.

...and by the way...you don't know how hard it was to seriously type that then press the submit button, at least not with a clear conscious. Thank god for being evil.

Canon's the obvious winner. Especially the 5D MKII. You turn it one and it puts out. It puts out huge and amazing. It'll blow your mind.

Nikon's D700 has all kinds of buttons you have to push first just to get it going, then when it puts out, it's like the 5D MKII's 3 year old sister. It's not quite as impressive and you can't even do it in the dark.

...and by the way...you don't know how hard it was to seriously type that then press the submit button, at least not with a clear conscious. Thank god for being evil.
What's so funny? It's true.

:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back