Canon Rebel T1i, XSi or Nikon D60?

Santo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ooitzsanto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have about $850 to spend and I don't know which of the three to buy. I've pretty much narrowed my list down to these three cameras, and I'm leaning towards the T1i the most (followed by the Nikon D60). Yet, the reviews for the XSi seem to be the best out of the three.

The local camera store has the T1i for $850, the XSi for $750 and the D60 for $649, all of them come with lenses.

Which would you say is the better buy?

Thanks in advance.

The 3 cameras are not directly comparable.

You can compare the tested RAW image quality of the 3 here, at DXO Mark Labs. DXO Mark does not compare camera features, only RAW image quality.

You will need other accessories and or lenses. Based on RAW image quality alone I would recommend the Nikon D60 as the best buy. Based on features only, I would recommend the T1i because of the video capability.

Actually, I'd go for the middle one.

The XSi/450D.

Several reasons... the 500D/T1i is not really worth the extra money unless you're dying to have video; still, at 1080p it only does 20fps, so then again...

The D60 doesn't have a focusing motor built in, and should really be compared to the XS/1000D. The 450D compares to the D90 - which, if you can afford, is the one to get - although there's a new D5000: but like the 500D, it's not really worth it.

Noise handling in the 450D is better, as is raw and JPG quality (refer to DPreview's review on 500D).

The XSi/450D.

Several reasons... the 500D/T1i is not really worth the extra money unless you're dying to have video; still, at 1080p it only does 20fps, so then again...

The D60 doesn't have a focusing motor built in, and should really be compared to the XS/1000D. The 450D compares to the D90 - which, if you can afford, is the one to get - although there's a new D5000: but like the 500D, it's not really worth it.

Noise handling in the 450D is better, as is raw and JPG quality (refer to DPreview's review on 500D).
Like the D60, none of the Canon cameras have a focus motor in the body either.

pls don't confuse the OP :D
You are absolutely right! since all focus motors are in the canon lenses. therefore not needing focus motor in the body.

Nikon on the other hand have lenses that need a focusing body (because they dont have it in the lens) and have lenses that have a focusing body. this is where it gets tricky,

Lenses for the d60 and other entry level slr's, are expensive because they need lenses that have focus motors (AF-S) unlike the higher end d80 and above which can work with both AF (generally cheaper) and AF-S lenses.

you can use AF lenses with the entry levels of course, but you have to do manual focusing.

as for the OP's question, I would go for the XSi simply because I don't need video and the lens availability is really great for it. (pixel count is really not an issue with regards to your T1i choice)

hth

Last edited:
Whoops, did forget to add that in.

Nikon did choose to go the other way, and now they come crawling back. :lol:

I would look into an EOS body if your going with canon... with a $850 budget... you can get something like a 20D or 30D from adorama. just get it in there E+ used condition. dont be afraid of buying used, you can get more for your money. I got a used 30D, lens, warranty, and memory card for $700 to my door.... I would say the 30D beats out the D60 and XSi hands down. That is just from the reviews I have heard tho. the EOS series bodies (10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D... ) are just better built and more made for the "professional amateur" type camera. Just another thing to think about.

And with used from adorama most times you can't even tell its used! I know I couldnt!

You are absolutely right! since all focus motors are in the canon lenses. therefore not needing focus motor in the body.

Nikon on the other hand have lenses that need a focusing body (because they dont have it in the lens) and have lenses that have a focusing body. this is where it gets tricky,

Lenses for the d60 and other entry level slr's, are expensive because they need lenses that have focus motors (AF-S) unlike the higher end d80 and above which can work with both AF (generally cheaper) and AF-S lenses.

you can use AF lenses with the entry levels of course, but you have to do manual focusing.

as for the OP's question, I would go for the XSi simply because I don't need video and the lens availability is really great for it. (pixel count is really not an issue with regards to your T1i choice)

hth
So, Canon has been selling expensive lenses with focus motors in them ever since they switched to the EF mount back in, what 1987 or so? 22 years worth of added lens expense for Canon users? ;) And Nikon just started doing it a couple of years ago when they intro'd the D40. Bad Nikon. :D

The 3 cameras are not directly comparable.

You can compare the tested RAW image quality of the 3 here, at DXO Mark Labs. DXO Mark does not compare camera features, only RAW image quality.

You will need other accessories and or lenses. Based on RAW image quality alone I would recommend the Nikon D60 as the best buy. Based on features only, I would recommend the T1i because of the video capability.

Thanks for the website link. Very interesting... I underestimated how powerful the D60 is. I'm telling you, if it wasn't for the fact that the Nikon D60 does not have a focusing motor built in, I'd probably get it. I LOVE the way it felt in my hands. That being said, I don't know... both the Xsi and the T1i seem much more advanced and have a whole bunch of features the D60 doesn't have. Ugh. =/

The XSi/450D.

I "tested" the D90 earlier today and that thing is beautiful. I swear it was love at first sight. Too bad I can't afford it, that sh*t was $1,000 WITHOUT the lenses/kit.

I'm not interested in video at all. Is that really the only huge difference between the T1i and the XSi? Mhm...

hth
You know what's interesting is that a lot of the people I've asked have recommended me the XSi OVER the T1i. Mhm... but then again, it's only $100 difference.

On the Nikon side, the D90 is a very appealing camera that offers a lot that the D60 lacks.

For Canon, today is supposed to be the last day for the current round of Canon instant rebates. The deal of Rebel XSi + EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS has been a popular one under the current program:
Canon Rebel XSi, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS, 58mm Filter - SlickDeals.net Forums
You could add the $90 EF 50mm f/1.8 to that kit and cover a very wide range of photography for under $850, total.

i thought that the xsi is 12 megpix and x1i is 15 megpix ?

So, Canon has been selling expensive lenses with focus motors in them ever since they switched to the EF mount back in, what 1987 or so? 22 years worth of added lens expense for Canon users? ;) And Nikon just started doing it a couple of years ago when they intro'd the D40. Bad Nikon. :D
Yeah, but the only problem with that is that even without the AF motor in the bodies upper end Nikkor glass cost the same as the Canon glass. Humm, shame on Nikon for sticking it to their customers since 1987. :D

i thought that the xsi is 12 megpix and x1i is 15 megpix ?

Very rarely do megapixels actually mean anything.

As for the 30D...I don't know. When I got my XSi, I could easily have gotten a 40D kit instead. I didn't because it's a complicated rig for someone new to digital shooting and it's heavy. I just found the XSi made a better all around camera for me. And, when compared with the same lenses, image quality between my Rebel and my friend's 40D is negligible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back