Canon RF Laowa 100mm f2.8 2x Ultra Macro - Test

Space Face

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First real serious test shots with this lens (fully manual).

Was a bit worried that I'd struggle to see the subjects with this beast on the Canon R6 system in the EVF. After I bought it I kinda wished I'd gone for the EF version as I could then have used it on my EOS cameras (most likely my 5Dsr) too. I needn't have worried imo.

These were taken hand held, natural light and no flash at between 1.5 and 2x magnification @ F/11 . Work in progress but I'm pretty impressed and chuffed too that I can use it without a flash.

52920267758_dd885e3a2d_c.jpg

52919969269_ac93c9a45d_c.jpg

52919228097_6596da764c_c.jpg

Looks like its performing great - backgrounds look really smooth too! Great shots all round.

And yep I've recently made the jump to the R6MII and the electronic viewfinders are actually really handy for high magnification photography. Whilst I still love the responsive nature of mirrors, the brightness that an electronic brings really helps for macro photography.
Got to admit I've been tempted by these lenses; 2X is a really nice magnification to have access too and on regular 1X lenses I often put a 1.4TC for a little bit more.

Looks like its performing great - backgrounds look really smooth too! Great shots all round.

And yep I've recently made the jump to the R6MII and the electronic viewfinders are actually really handy for high magnification photography. Whilst I still love the responsive nature of mirrors, the brightness that an electronic brings really helps for macro photography.
Got to admit I've been tempted by these lenses; 2X is a really nice magnification to have access too and on regular 1X lenses I often put a 1.4TC for a little bit more.
I'd highly recommend the Laowa make. Fully manual is perfect for this type of macro work I have the 60mm 2x mag too on the EF mount. Surplus to needs now I suppose.😉

Cheers Jeff. Yeah, as I said I was pretty pleased with it's performance on the R6 with no artificial light.

Most reactions

Back