Canon shooters - favorite wide angle for landscape shots

David84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

I'm sure I'll be told this is the wrong place to post it, but I waned to get your advice on which lens you like to shoot with.

I just ordered a 5D II, came with the 24-105L. What lens(es) do you reccoment for shooting landscape photography?

Canon 10-22?
Sigma 12-24?
Tokina 12-24?

Others??

etc....

Thanks for the advice and info!

-David

Hey all,

I'm sure I'll be told this is the wrong place to post it, but I waned to get your advice on which lens you like to shoot with.

I just ordered a 5D II, came with the 24-105L. What lens(es) do you reccoment for shooting landscape photography?

Canon 10-22?
Sigma 12-24?
Tokina 12-24?

Others??

etc....

Thanks for the advice and info!

-David

hi david first of all 5dmk2 is already a fullframe camera. The lens you mentioned will not work properly with a fullframe. This will result to a circle in your image with extreme vignetting.

I've used tokina 11-16 before not knowing about this case. Sold that one then got the 17-40L 4f. You can get also the 16-35L 2.8 but that would be double the price of the prior lens. good luck!

Here's an interesting article written by a serious landscape photographer who wants the best possible performance.

The Nikon 14-24 on a Canon 1DsIII - A landscapers report.

This web site has some of the best lenses for landscape photography tested and reviewed,with side-by-side comparisons

16-9: Lens Test Archive and Reviews

I actually use Nikon lenses on my Canon cameras, using inexpensive eBay adapters. Nikon has made many excellent wide angle lenses over the years, as well as some superb zoom lenses like the 17-35 AF-S, which are available on the used market for reasonable prices. anon bodies will accept 9 different lens mounts; Leica R, Olympus, M42 thread, Nikon F, and Yashica/Contax mount lenses--all of which have at least two or three superlative lenses that are now more or less orphans,and yet which work really well on high-end Canon bodies. Check the 19-9 site to see for yourself how fabulously Canon cameras adapt to other lenses. The adapter rings, when bought from eBay, are in the $17-$25 price range. I have been impressed with how easy it is to shoot Canons with adapted lenses fitted.

I see alot of guys who have that body using the Canon EF17-40 L
Canon EF17-40L

hi david first of all 5dmk2 is already a fullframe camera. The lens you mentioned will not work properly with a fullframe. This will result to a circle in your image with extreme vignetting.

I've used tokina 11-16 before not knowing about this case. Sold that one then got the 17-40L 4f. You can get also the 16-35L 2.8 but that would be double the price of the prior lens. good luck!

Geez... I feel like an idiot for not even checking to see if it was for a cropped body or FF.... thanks for enlightening me... I'm still used to thinking of my XTi instead of the 5d... good looking out!

-David

Derrel and JaHarris -

Thanks for the info, I'll checkout the link and look up on the 17-40.

I see alot of guys who have that body using the Canon EF17-40 L
Canon EF17-40L

i use this lens on my film rebel, what a beauty! i love it to death, its almost exclusive on there. pretty good price for a well built solid L series lens. and since its for landscape, 4.0 is all you need for aperture.

For those of you who shoot withe the 17-40, do you find it wide enough? Do you ever find yourself wishing you had more? Or would you rather just take several pics and stitch them together?

Thanks,

David

I think on the full frame body, you'll find that that lens is wide enough, I forget the conversions but its pretty wide on the full frame body, like I said, Ive seen some amazingly beautiful work with that lens by some very accomplished photographers, do a little more research on it, it IS a L lens and like stated before the price isnt bad either for L quality, thats the widest lens Ive seen used on a full frame camera, I could be wrong on that though,,

I think on the full frame body, you'll find that that lens is wide enough, I forget the conversions but its pretty wide on the full frame body, like I said, Ive seen some amazingly beautiful work with that lens by some very accomplished photographers, do a little more research on it, it IS a L lens and like stated before the price isnt bad either for L quality, thats the widest lens Ive seen used on a full frame camera, I could be wrong on that though,,

Very true points. I looked into this glass and its reviews quite a bit since first suggested.

Good point on crop vs. FF. I suppose my 18mm on the XTi acts more like a 29mm on FF. A 17mm on FF is like an 11mm on 1.6 crop sensor.

Thanks for making me think!

-David

if you go wider than that on a full frame camera distortion is going to take effect even more so, not cool for landcape! 16 or 17 is the widest i would go to keep landscapes looking true, and no i have never wanted to go any wider, in fact, it took my about 3 months to get used to how much i can actually fill into a frame, i would always stand where i thought would be good, then compose and realize i was far away, you will not be disappointed.
this was taken RIGHT in front of the statue.
00160029-1.jpg

here is one of the few pics that shows the distortion, you will only get it at the long ends of the lens, and the distortion is not nearly as noticible in landscapes, its the bikes circular wheel that shows the distortion, but 98% of the time, its totally unnoticeable. the first pic was taken at 17mm and you cant see distortion.(only collapsing perspective, but that can be an asset)
00720002.jpg

get the lens! you will love it!!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back