Canon T1i shutter speed problem (question).

lowcel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I returned my Canon XS earlier today and picked up a T1i to replace it. I am having a problem with it when I use a faster shutter speed so I was wanting to check and see if it was a problem with the camera or a problem with the camera holder (me).

Here are some sample of the pictures. If I use anything faster than a 1/250 I get pictures like this. Please don't mention the photo quality, I know they are terrible but they should still give you the idea.

shuttera.jpg

shutterb.jpg

shutterc.jpg

Were you using the flash?

It looks like you were exceding the flash sync speed. (Probably 1/200th.)

EDIT
It's either that, or a sticky shutter - which is highly unlikely on a new camera.

Yes, I was using a 430EX II flash via a Cactus remote trigger.

That's probably it then. Your shutter speed was too high. The dark areas you're seeing are the shutter curtains - before they've opened all the way.

That makes sense. Thank you very much for the information. I am glad to hear that it is user error and not a problem with the camera. I am still new to this hobby so I am the first to admit that I have a lot to learn.

That's probably it then. Your shutter speed was too high. The dark areas you're seeing are the shutter curtains - before they've opened all the way.

Yep, your shutter speeds were between 1/320th to 1/500th. The T1i max sync speed is 1/200th.

But your flash should have a fast shutter speed setting so those images would turn out just fine. The only trouble is it uses up flash batteries very quickly and limits the power output.

Nope KmH, not when using the flashes via wireless remotes. The camera can't FP sync unless you use a system like Nikon CLS with the appropriate ludicrously expensive flashes.

Nope KmH, not when using the flashes via wireless remotes. The camera can't FP sync unless you use a system like Nikon CLS with the appropriate ludicrously expensive flashes.
Yep, I shoot Nikon, so am used to CLS. I didn't think he was using the flash off camera. Another new Canon tidbit. Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back