Canon T3i Video Setup?

stephencastel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have a Canon T3i with the 18-55mm kit lens. I am looking to buy gear to record music festivals next year. I am not looking for the top of the line gear. I am currently a senior in high school, so spending that kind of money is out of the question.

So basically what I'm asking is, what should I buy? (Lenses, Monopod, Tripod, Microphone)

I am looking to make videos such as this one:

Last edited by a moderator:
The best and cheapest ways to increase quality of your video is going to be image stabilization, light and sound. I would purchase a shotgun mic first. Entry level Rode's are pretty decent. Coupled with Magic Lantern firmware on your T3i with manual audio controls would give you some really nice results. Then I would look into a decent set of LED's. You can find small panels from bower on amazon and such for pretty cheap. The last thing I recommend and probably the best would be for image stabilization. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of the fig rig by manfrotto. But it's an easy to set up grab and go rig. The only downside is it is a little pricey. You can get the Halo Rig instead for near half the price and it provides the exact same functionality. Pair it with a monopod and you're good to go. It also has attachment points for your LED panel and mic. This whole setup would cost you about $400. Hope this helps.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Lens- Depends on budget, but the Canon 50mm 1.8 is a great budget lens at $125
Audio- Zoom H1 recorder and Rode VideoMic

You need a way to pull focus as well, a follow focus rig with hard stops is crucial.

As said before, Magic Lantern helps a ton too, and it's free.

Hi Stephen - welcome to the forum.

In my view, you need a faster lens first. The $107 50mm f1.8 is a good low light lens, but may be too tight for interiors with a crop sensor camera. My vote would be for the $199 40mm f2.8. I have shot with this lens and it is a very good value for the money. Alternatively, for a little more, you may want to look at the $289 35mm f2. A nice prime lens for indoor work.

Next, I would deal with sound. I've gone the Zoom H1/consumer mic route and I now recommend against it. Too many switches to deal with when you're shooting - and too much hassle when you're trying to match your picture and sound in the edit suite.

Instead of the $99 Zoom recorder and the $229 Rode Videomic "Pro" with its unbalanced, consumer 3.5mm output, here is what I recommend:

Sound:
Best value for money pro mic - Audio Technica AT897, $210
Best value for money shock mount - Campro Deluxe, $25
WindTech SG-1 foam windscreen for AT897, $31.95
WindTech MM-101 mic muff for AT897, $29.95
Until you can afford a preamp, get yourself a $17 Hosa MIT-156 XLR to 3.5mm adapter/transformer to plug your mic directly into your camera.
When you can afford a preamp, the best value for money external preamp is the JuicedLink DT414, $319. This relatively inexpensive little device compares very well with the $899 professional Sound Devices MixPre-D:

The other area where you can improve the quality of your video is a steady picture. You can get cheap plastic shoulder mounts and tripods, but they will break or wobble or pan jerkily - and you'll end up spending money to replace them. In my view, it is better to start with a metal tripod and rig and be done with it. Here is what I recommend:

Best value for money shoulder rig - Photography & Cinema, $260
Best value for money fluid head tripod - Fancier 75mm bowl w crutch style legs, $129

I have the $140 Ravelli version of this tripod, and it pans and tilts smoothly and is built like a tank. Highly recommended.

Hope that's helpful and good luck with your T3i!

Bill

Hi Stephen - welcome to the forum.

In my view, you need a faster lens first. The $107 50mm f1.8 is a good low light lens, but may be too tight for interiors with a crop sensor camera. My vote would be for the $199 40mm f2.8. I have shot with this lens and it is a very good value for the money. Alternatively, for a little more, you may want to look at the $289 35mm f2. A nice prime lens for indoor work.

Next, I would deal with sound. I've gone the Zoom H1/consumer mic route and I now recommend against it. Too many switches to deal with when you're shooting - and too much hassle when you're trying to match your picture and sound in the edit suite.

Instead of the $99 Zoom recorder and the $229 Rode Videomic "Pro" with its unbalanced, consumer 3.5mm output, here is what I recommend:

Sound:
Best value for money pro mic - Audio Technica AT897, $210
Best value for money shock mount - Campro Deluxe, $25
WindTech SG-1 foam windscreen for AT897, $31.95
WindTech MM-101 mic muff for AT897, $29.95
Until you can afford a preamp, get yourself a $17 Hosa MIT-156 XLR to 3.5mm adapter/transformer to plug your mic directly into your camera.
When you can afford a preamp, the best value for money external preamp is the JuicedLink DT414, $319. This relatively inexpensive little device compares very well with the $899 professional Sound Devices MixPre-D:

The other area where you can improve the quality of your video is a steady picture. You can get cheap plastic shoulder mounts and tripods, but they will break or wobble or pan jerkily - and you'll end up spending money to replace them. In my view, it is better to start with a metal tripod and rig and be done with it. Here is what I recommend:

Best value for money shoulder rig - Photography & Cinema, $260
Best value for money fluid head tripod - Fancier 75mm bowl w crutch style legs, $129

I have the $140 Ravelli version of this tripod, and it pans and tilts smoothly and is built like a tank. Highly recommended.

Hope that's helpful and good luck with your T3i!

Bill

I have an extra XLR shotgun mic sitting around and have been looking for a good XLR to 3.5 adapter, thanks for the link.

and I have been eyeing that JuicedLink for a bit now, just need to break down and spend the money on it

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back