Canon Telephoto Zoom's

Sandoz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've been saving up some money for awhile to spend on a Telephoto lens. I'm currently using a Canon 7D with the 18-135 kit lens and a canon 50mm 1.4. I've got a few trips coming up to the SD Zoo and South Africa. I'm also going to start going out to a few AMA Enduro's in the desert. So the that's kind of shooting the lens will be used for. I was researching more into zooms as opposed to primes because I'm not really sure what focal length I'll be at most of the time and the added flexibility is nice. (I have be a certain distance from the track at the AMA races and I can't walk through the glass at the Zoo.) As far as the budget goes, I am comfortable spending up to $2500. So far, I've been looking at the following:

Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM - From what I've gathered it's sharp as *%$!,built like a tank, and pretty much a standard in the arsenal of professionals. The only reserve I have is the 200mm reach as opposed to the the other two lenses. (Oh and price) I guess with less magnification the better optical performance. Maybe get a TC down the road if the reach is the issue? Or will the reach be enough as it's going to be mounted on a crop frame?

Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS USM - Kinda hesitant with the push/pull zoom and dust getting in the lens. Price is nice compared the 70-200. I really don't know yet if there will be too many times I need to go below 5.6 at the 200mm+ range. I wouldn't be able to afford it anyways.

Sigma 150-500 F/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM - I've done the least research on this lens. I like the price and range. I've never owned a sigma and have heard both good and bad. Some say it's built well, some don't. Some like the IQ, some don't. I'm impressed with the quality of the images I've seen. However, I've found quite a few people commenting on slow/bad AF and issues with the motor in general.

I'd just like to get the opinion of anyone who owns one or more of lenses. More specifically, the 100-400 and the Sigma as there is a lot of information out there on the 70-200. And for the rest of you, when you were starting out in the telephoto range, what did you first buy? And looking back on it now, was that a good decision or would you have opted for something else? Also is there anything within this price range, that will mount to a canon, you guys would recommend that I'm being blind too?

Thanks in Advance for any help.

The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Lens is a good alternative for the above lenses, not near as fast, but great optics and a lot lighter than any of the others. L glass is always the best way to go and the Sigma isn’t really the best alternative to the 70-200 2.8 L, but it will work.

I just picked up a 70-200 2.8 IS L (version 1) and I like it compared to my f/4 non-IS, but it is MUCH heavier, that is the major drawback. I guess that goes with the territory with the faster zooms. You might also add the Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 OS. I got a nice used one for $700 but I didn't like the OOF quality and the stabilizer felt wonky to me. But for the price.... not bad for a stabilized 400mm zoom.

Hello Mate,
I have a Canon 70-200F4L, use it for shooting roadbikes at the track but find it to be a little short at times as I too am a little bit back from the track. I am looking at the 300F4L IS as another lense to add a bit more reach. Sorry I can't comment on the other lens however price wise you can get a 70-200F4 and 300F4 IS for the price of the 70-200F2.8 IS. Depending on what your needs are this may also be an option to consider.

Thanks for the reply's thus far.

I totally forgot about the weight aspect, so thanks for bringing that up guys. I got to play around with the 70-200 is II this morning at my local camera shop and didn't really mind the weight. Granted, I was holding it for 10mins and not all day. I think I've fallen in love though. If I see another pop up on the Canon Refurb Shop I'm going to go ahead and snipe one. $1998 and a warranty is a pretty nice deal, I think. I haven't found any used ones anywhere. Are there any reputable used dealers you guys could recommend besides keh and BH Photo?

My advice - 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII + 2*TC and 1.4TC.

The 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII alone is a stella lens (as you've found out) and its performance in this range is really outstanding. It's former version was the pro choice for many and still is, but the MII takes it up to a new level. A 70-200mm ranged lens will certainly work well in a zoo environment - a 1.4TC helps it as well and gives a very usable working range.
As a great bonus the lens can also take a 2*TC giving you a 140-400mm f5.6 IS L lens which is pretty much optically the same as the 100-400mm L in terms of performance (the 100-400mm retains an edge in test conditions, but out in the field the real world difference is very marginal).
Canon Digital Photography Forums gives you an idea of their comparative performances.
Getting a 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII used will be tricky as it is still a very new lens; further even if you do find them used chances are the price difference between new and used is not that much (and new come with a warranty as well). Also considering the current stock issues I wouldn't put much time down trying to hunt out a good used deal on this lens.

The 70-300 DO is REALLY,really,really small and compact for its focal length range....EXCEPTIONALLY compact...I can hardly stress enough how tiny that lens is compared with any other 70-300 lens, due to the way the Diffractive Optics system achieves a longer focal length with the shortest possible physical dimensions. Of course, it is pretty costly compared against other "normal" optics, but if you do not want to carry a big,bulky lens, the 70-300 DO looks like a good option.

Is the canon 55-250 IS an option for you, it is cheap (maybe not up to the quality you want) but there seems to be a lot of happy customers for this lens, including myself. It gives good reach and is light, just a thought!

The Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 II IS USM and don't look back. I had the 100-400 and never used it... I have had friends with the f/4 of 70-200 and never use it.... if you want somethign you will lean on it's got to be f/2.8 or it's nothing in low light.... It also rivals the 85mm 1.8 in bokeh and image quality. I would say it's almost as good as 85mm 1.2 but not quite sure the bokeh can tough the 1.2... but seriously if it wasn't so heavy, i would have it on my camera 24/7... i'm getting a 50mm 1.2 to add in there, but the mark II version of the f/2.8 is the ticket. Get that used one you had looked at... If that can'be done, get the version I ... I would definitely stay at f/2.8 with or without IS... F/4 is not wide when you have somehting that goes 2.8 or even 1.8... you try to open it up and it stops at 4 and you are like, crap..

good luck.

Thank you for the reply's everyone.

I have decided to go with the 70-200MII. My mind just cant justify spending so much on the slower glass. I know there is going to be once or twice I might want some shots inside or out at night and hate not having the 2.8. I would take the 70-300DO in a heartbeat if it wasn't so much. I would rather have a 300f/4 for the same price.

I will add my 2 cents. here. Buy the 70-200 f2.8 and rent for the trip the 400mm f2.8, 500mm f4 or 600mm f4 and a good pod to go with it. If by chance one of them really strikes you fancy then start saving your pennies.

My opinion.... pass on the DO. One of Canons worst dollar per performance products. Much better options in the 70-300 range in either price or performance. Difficult to sell because the range is already so crowded with options. Not sharp and not really much on savings in terms on packaging...

choose to compromise on price packaging or performance but not on all three.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back