Canon vs. Nikon (oh brother)

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can you even compare these? I´m just trying to narrow down the search. Whatabout the lenses? I hear Nikon makes better lenses supposedly. I have a Nikon as we speak but i wouldnt mind switching. And whatabout that Cannon 350D?

I know about the reviews but itsstill different to hear it from people

You can compare them all you like, many people do! It's my opinion that these days there's little in it. If I were to express a blatant opinion, it would be that Nikon's shorter lenses < 200mm, especially the primes are probably a touch sharper. It's also my opinion, as a new 20D owner, that the Canon auto-focus is faster and more accurate.

At the end of the day, it's so close. Both manufacturers produce thousands of products and some are not ideal for comparison - they're just different.

As far as digital goes, Canon seem to have the slight edge on releasing the new cameras first, but otherwise there isn't much in it. I defy anyone to tell the difference between a picture I take on a D50/70/200 and a 350D/10D/20D when taken at the same time using a standard lens and then printed in a consistent manner.

You've got one lens already, and if it's the 2.8, then it's a head start on Nikon for you. Also the D50 is cheaper than the 350D I understand.

There are endless pointless arguments about which manufacturer produces their lenses in Germany/Japan/China/Taiwan/Timbuctu etc. and there are equally pointless arguments about what's "best".

I chose the 20D, because I was originally going to get a 350D, but I couldn't hold it steady in the shop, even with a grip. I chose the standard lens and the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM lens which is a massive departure from my previous experience on Nikon with prime only lenses. It's a very soft lens, but it suits my purposes well - it's great for model photography. It also happens to be pretty damn good for things which are far away and hand-holding, despite the apparantly high f-numbers.

I came to this conclusion, having seen a picture here by Joeri which did not exhibit any aspects of the classic crap digital shots: purple fringing, colour abberation, depth-of-field flatness, crap bokeh etc. It was sharp, demonstrated great bokeh and was a bargain being the £90 50mm lens! Also, my friend Simon (a wildlife photog) uses the 100-400, and we discovered by accident that it makes an awesomely flattering modelling lens.

The best way to experience things is to meet up with people who own the kit, look at the pictures and figure out for yourself what look you're interested in. I really haven't seen many decent shots with the kit and cheap zooms, especially on digital, but there are aspects to photography which please or otherwise: some people are striving for maximum depth-of-field and sharpness. I'm looking for a pleasing image and a nice bokeh.

Rob

I agree, there is a virtually no difference between the quality of the systems. Best bet is to go to a camera shop and try them out and see how they feel in you hand and how intuitive the controls are for you.

I started out with a Canon manual system many years ago. When I upgraded to a newer AF system I went in and tried out serveral different brands and models. While I fully intended to stick with the Canon I ended up with Nikon and have been very happy. Just my personal choice.

nikon peole wil swear by nikon and canon willd ot the same, i say nikon becaus i liek the feal of the lenses, the canon lenses feal flimsy and to leight, the conon gys will disagre, but i say nikon

ive played with both the Nikon D50 (my roommate has one) and the Canon 350D (I just got one). Both cameras produce very similar results, almost all the button layouts are the same, and menu functions are just as functional.

the D50 is pretty cheap now, you can buy the body only for around $500. I still chose the 350D because I am a MP whore (I like highest resolution for prints), and I already had two lenses for the EOS series.

EDIT: btw, I'm going to be in Nurnberg in the summer for the World Cup :)

bobaab said:
ive played with both the Nikon D50 (my roommate has one) and the Canon 350D (I just got one). Both cameras produce very similar results, almost all the button layouts are the same, and menu functions are just as functional.

the D50 is pretty cheap now, you can buy the body only for around $500. I still chose the 350D because I am a MP whore (I like highest resolution for prints), and I already had two lenses for the EOS series.

EDIT: btw, I'm going to be in Nurnberg in the summer for the World Cup :)

OK, looks like i am seriously looking into that 20D...looked up that dpreview..as far as NBG, when wil you be out here? Got tickets?You will defenitely have fun out here!

look at the comprable nikon if you are willing to wate you could get a d200 10.2 mp but out of stock almsot every where it is suposed to be a consumer d2x

Most reactions

New Topics

Back