canon vs. NIKON vs. Other

kemplefan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i know most of us have brand loyalties, especialy with our cammers, cannon, nikon, and all the outher brands, but are any of them tha tmuch better than the outher or is just the one you buy for some reason

Nikon and Canon are systems more than cameras. For many here the decision was made a while back with a film body. Many things will have influenced that decision but different for everybody. System completeness and some bacward compatibilty as well as some clear direction as to where the company seems to be going are in my mind some major factors influencing the choice of camera.

thats what i was looking for, a couple of months ago i had a ismilar one, it just wasn't wich is better it was what do you like

Canon and Nikon are identical. Or they might as well be. Both have bodies and lenses of the same quality in roughly the same price range, both have huge systems of equipment, both have many loyal pros, and both are absolutely fantastic.

If you're just starting out, go into a store, look at the price point you want, and hold two cameras. Hold a D80 and a 400D or a D200 and a 30D, a D2X and a 5D/1Ds (neither one of them is quite in the D2X pricepoint - one is a thousand less and one costs twice as much), whatever. The main difference between Nikon and Canon is the "feel" of the cameras and how they layout their controls. Chances are one system will feel great to you and one will feel awkward. Go with the system that feels great and don't look back - you've made the right choice. For me, it was Nikon. For a lot of people, it's Canon. Neither group is wrong.

On to personal endorsements: Far as I'm concerned, if Nikon's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for anyone.

Assuming you are talking about digital cameras:

Just repeating what Digital Camera Pro magazine is publishing in the current issue: Canon is really far ahead of all other manufacturers because they fully own the vertical integration of the product. Specifically, that means they make their own sensors, whereas all other manufacturers (incl. nikon) are buying theirs from third-party vendors.

HOWEVER: a lot of this only matters at the top of their respective lines. If you're looking for something more accesible (N.'s D200 vs. C.'s D30, or even lower down at the pure consumer level) then you're really evaluating highly comparable products. Both will be fine, and the money you spend on lenses will be money well-spent as they scale with your hobby.

Look, I'm not a brand loyalist, in any genre or vertical. I don't care who makes my PC's OS (Apple or a Microsoft), I like both Mercedes and BMW, I like the Stones AND the Beatles, and I think Nikon and Canon lenses are wonderful, certainly beyond any limit I could take either to. But after a lot of reading, Canon is really several years ahead right now.

kemplefan said:
i know most of us have brand loyalties, especialy with our cammers, cannon, nikon, and all the outher brands, but are any of them tha tmuch better than the outher or is just the one you buy for some reason

I guess the simple reply would be YES. However it is not that simple. Having shot Nikon film for 30+ years, if I had to go back to film I would pick up my good ole' F2 and be very happy. It is a tank that works and works and works. I have owned a Pentax LX and liked it. I used Minolta at work and it was good as well. But I cut my teeth on Nikon so it is my favorite. A good 35mm slr body however just has to be light proof, have a good shutter and a flat plane for the film. After that it pretty much is all lens.

When I decided to go digital, I shopped around quite a bit and looked at all the brands. It finally came down to Canon, Nikon and Fuji. I ended up going with the Canon 30D. For me it was a combination of feel. I tested out the 30D with a grip and some good glass. Comfortable to shoot and the controls were easy to reach. Tried the D200 from Nikon. It was comfortable, and again, the controls were easy to reach. (Being an F2 shooter, a lot of controls were not in my habit)
The Fuji didn't feel quite as comfortable for some reason that I really can't explain. It's not that I don't like the camera, in my profession it is a great forensic tool. In fact we just ordered some new S3's with IR.

My final choice came down to the fact that I shoot a lot of different things. The Canon had less noise in my tests at high ISO than the other two companies. They had a wide range of lenses and accessories that I was interested in so they ended up being my choice. Nikon and Fuji also had an impressive range of lenses and accessories but for what I like to shoot, I felt the Canon was best for me. So that is what I went with and have never looked back or regretted it.

I know that if I was was doing portrait/wedding work, I would have gone with the Nikon. I work with a photographer that does studio work and uses a Nikon D2. Great glass on a great body with stunning results.

I have absolutely no complaints with the Fuji's at work as they do the job we ask of them perfectly.

As for some of the others, Pentax and Olympus did not have as wide a range of lenses and accessories that I was interested in, nor did they have a body that I particularly liked and Minolta was out of the camera business. My personal choice was based on what I like to shoot and which camera I thought would work best for me, rather than brand loyalty because I knew I was buying into a system instead of a camera. I fully expect to be upgrading camera bodies about every two years now.

I shoot Nikon because when I bought my first 35mm SLR, the Nikon system at the local camera store gave me the opporitunity to start out with f/2.8 glass, even though my body was totally manual. Everything i bought for it was completly forwards and backwards compatible with anything and everything from about 1950-something to today. I paid $450 for a Nikon FE, motor drive, and a 35-70 f/2.8. The lens new costs over $500.

kemplefan said:
thats what i was looking for, a couple of months ago i had a ismilar one, it just wasn't wich is better it was what do you like

The only thing you are really going to get in a topic like this that has come up over and over again is "I like Nikon better" or "I like Canon better" I as a nikon user are willing to say if you like Canon thats what you should use. I think if you stick with either one of them you should do o.k.. It is really a matter of personal choice.

Actually, yesterday I met a retired person in the camera shop. And he told me that he was using Nikon gear for 30 years, and now he switched over to Canon just to find out that Canon is so much better.

His son however, took all his father's Nikon lenses to use them on a D 200 and is more than happy, as Nikon is so much better
than Canon.

This is not made up, this was really the essence of that conversation I had yesterday. Pretty much explains it all in the Nikon/Canon battle ;)

Most reactions

Back