canon xsi or 7D

How long to save up for a 7D? A year? It might even be replaced by then.

A year is a long time and lots of practice opportunities to shoot. Splurge the extra $100 or so dollars and get the 40D, you will NOT regret it.
It was my one regret when buying the XSI... not buying the 40D

And no offense taken. Photography requires a serious amount of money that we all (well, other than lottery winners and rich people) save a while to get. We want to make sure we spend it wisely and when spending it on unknown things like a camera, we need to ask questions.

The overall consensus is skip the XSI, get the 40D as the price difference is very negligable. Then save up for whatever new technology is out there when you are ready to upgrade. You might even go from that 40D to a 5D2/3.

Or keep the 40D and invest on good quality pro line lenses, which make much more of a difference than the body.

I'm just curious - you asked everyone what you should do and just about everyone told you something along the lines of 7d or 40d... But you're saying you're just going to get the XSi? Did we all waste our time?

To be fair, the OP came here asking XSI or 7D and then we threw in another model. If someone is already debating between 2 things and you throw a third one in, it is even more to consider. If someone does that to me, I need to go back to the drawing board and assess my choices. I'm not one to just throw $700 out there and buy something, I'm more cautious with my money.

I bought a 40D as my first DSLR (I've been shooting film SLRs for a number of years) and I love it. I got it for under $500 in "excellent" condition on KEH.com.

OK im convinced i did my research on the 40D and i found a good offer in B&H... thanks 4 the advice guys :)

Ok thanks guys. I might just go for the xsi and then 7D later

I'm just curious - you asked everyone what you should do and just about everyone told you something along the lines of 7d or 40d... But you're saying you're just going to get the XSi? Did we all waste our time?

Its sort of a pointless question to begin with. What should I get, the $500 camera, or the one that 3 times as much? Of course the one thats 3 times as much is better, its just a matter of what you need, want, and how far you want to go. I mean saying, what should I get, an XSi or a T1i or an xs or d3000 would make more sense. Furthermore, the question was even more pointless because the OP had no intention ( can't afford it ) of getting the 7D anyway.

Ok thanks guys. I might just go for the xsi and then 7D later

Its sort of a pointless question to begin with. What should I get, the $500 camera, or the one that 3 times as much? Of course the one thats 3 times as much is better, its just a matter of what you need, want, and how far you want to go. I mean saying, what should I get, an XSi or a T1i or an xs or d3000 would make more sense. Furthermore, the question was even more pointless because the OP had no intention ( can't afford it ) of getting the 7D anyway.
ok then what do u recommend i do? :er:

ok then what do u recommend i do? :er:

The same thing you are doing, but we didn't need two pages of posting for you to arrive at that decision, you already had that decision to begin with. There is no NEED for anyones recommendations, thats why its pointless. You asked about two cameras that have such a huge gap in terms of build, features, resolution, and cost that the differences are obvious if you would do a simple search. The main thing to sway your decision would be the cost. Since you state you can't afford a 7D, then that would mean you had to go with the XS by default before even asking the question. Thus making this a waste of time for everyone involved.

Now if you wanted just a general camera recommendation, that would be different. Its like me saying

"Hey guys, I just got a 50D body, should I buy the Kit lens or the 16-35L f/2.8 ? "

" I think you should go with the 16-35L f/2.8 its an awesome lens"

"Uhhh, I can't afford the 16-35L so I will just buy the kit lens, thanks"

Does it look more pointless when you put it in a different context?

ok fine i understand srry 4 my stupidity and this was the first thread i ever posted so i had no idea what i was doing again sorry :(

Last edited:
Haha, its alright, I am not as pissed as you may be assuming. I am just being blunt. There are always noobs asking silly questions ( you will see this if you stick around, and I am sure I was at some point as well ). I am just trying to give some awareness. You can always search stuff or use google before coming here too. The more info you bring to the table ( showing you did your homework ) the more positive your results will be.

Most reactions

Back