Can't Afford digital, film?

Dear Scorp,

The cost of a film body isn't that expensive when compared to a DSLR.
An n75 can be had for around 180 dollars.

That camera will get you started off and away with photography. But keep in mind that the real money you spend on any camera system will always be better when spent on LENSES. All cameras have a shutter, means of adjusting aperature - whether on the lense or through the camera body, and something to record the image on. The quality of the image comes from your knowledge of the right shutter & f/stop and THE LENSE.

This is all IMHO,
Brett

Thank you for all the replies; I've read them all. I'm still going to try and save up for a digital rebel, but I'm going to go out and consider film for now.

You can start with a film rebel and a 50mm prime...

Do not buy a "standard zoom"... most of them are crap.

I'd suggest a tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for starter lens.

I always knew that I was going with the Canon line of DSLR's so I started shooting with a Canon film body (Elan 7E). By the time I actually got a DSLR I already had a nice collection of lenses, flashes, filters and so on.

I like what Frankenstein and steve817 said.
Standard zooms generally suck. Nikon's 28-80 f/3.3-5.6 is an o.k. lense, but you wouldn't want to make anything bigger than 8x6. I bought that lense as a lense I could fiddle around with because it was only another 70 dollars when I bought my N80, I then proceded to buy a 50mm f/1.8 lense that I use all the time.

If you know your going to stick with a Nikon SLR, get something like an n75, I wouldn't recommend the N65 as it isn't that much cheaper, and doesn't have continuous AF like any DSLR would. If you know your going to buy a Canon 10D, 20D, 300D, or 350D, buy something like a Rebel G, or Rebel XT. If want to get a a serious film system, get an Elan 7n, 7ne, or 7e, If your going Nikon, get an N80.

As said, best to learn on something fully manual. If your already sure photographys your thing, then Nikon is worth the investment because of leans compatability. If you want to test the waters first, a canon ae1 is good or try a pentax K1000 if you can get your hand on one. Its probably the easiest camera to learn on. As for the film cost of learning, you could always just do processing and a contact or index sheet . Also I found blacks processing included 5 pks a good deal when youve got the cash.
GOOD LUCK.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back