Can't Decide If I Like These...C&C Appreciated

MikeBookPro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stillstories.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Earlier today, I took my daughter outside to take some shots. I find myself STRUGGLING to get get very many good shots of children. I think this is due, in part, to the limited flexibility my 50mm f/1.4 offers (can't get some of the shots I am thinking, due to the ol' foot zoom being too slow), but it's also due to me missing shots, etc.

Anyway, here are a couple that seem OK. I don't love any of them (I like #2 the best, FWIW), but I'd love to get some thoughts from the forum on them.

3880990811_f7b35fcd71_o.jpg

3880991903_e7010fdc02_o.jpg

3880992271_0ee88799da_o.jpg

Something I always tell people, if you can't decide whether you like a shot or not, you're probably trying hard to like it, in spite of what your mind is telling you about the shot. In other words, if you're on the fence, chances are there's something wrong. Having said that, let me give some C&C.

#1 - I don't really like the hair in front of her eye, I think it distracts from the image as a whole. It could be the resizing, but it looks soft also. I like the composition otherwise. Her face is blown out also.

#2 - This is my personal favorite of the three. It's very cute. It reminds me of a kid who just had a bag of candy, ran around hyper for about half an hour, then crashed. My only real nitpick is that I think it would be a stronger photo if the girl was on the left side of the frame looking to the right.

#3 - This looks like a snapshot to me. It's not bad, maybe a tad underexposed, but it doesn't really convey anything to me.

Kids are a tough subject as they're always moving and they don't take direction well. I think you did a pretty good job here. As far as "foot zoom" goes, you might just be better served shooting back a little ways, then cropping in post. You'll lose some resolution (not a huge deal, as long as you're not cropping too much), but you will probably get more shots that way.

Thanks! I kind of feel the same way. #2 is good, the rest should probably be dumped.

Here's a couple of others from when we brought the show inside.

3881365065_deb10a08dd_o.jpg

3881365581_135c98dfc3_o.jpg

I love the first one. I think the de-saturation was very appropriate. You can see she's looking at something off frame, and there's some empty space to give a sense of scale. It's just a great shot.

1st set, 2nd pic is my favorite. looks very natural and like she got her feelings hurt on the playground and can't decide whether to go back out or not.

I really like the last photo you posted also. Very nice. :) Focus might be a bit soft, but it's still a great shot I think.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back