Can't get to maximum aperture

Joe from So Cal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm using a D600 in very good condition. Just had a checkup at Nikon Service.

I put on my 105 Micro Nikkor f2.8 D and shooting aperture priority at first all I could get was f5.
I gave the aperture ring a twist, got the usual EE, and now I get f4.8, but not wider.

Can anyone offer a reason for this? The lens has rarely traveled with me and seems to be in good condition.

I'm using a D600 in very good condition. Just had a checkup at Nikon Service.

I put on my 105 Micro Nikkor f2.8 D and shooting aperture priority at first all I could get was f5.
I gave the aperture ring a twist, got the usual EE, and now I get f4.8, but not wider.

Can anyone offer a reason for this? The lens has rarely traveled with me and seems to be in good condition.
Have you locked the aperture ring at f/32?

Micro lenses are a bit of a different animal. If I remember correctly, you can get f/2.8 when focusing at infinity. As you focus closer, the effective f stop increases. The camera sees the effective f stop.

For lenses with an aperture ring on a D600, you don't turn the aperture ring. You set it at the minimum, and adjust the aperture with the camera.

For lenses with an aperture ring on a D600, you don't turn the aperture ring. You set it at the minimum, and adjust the aperture with the camera.
I turned the aperture ring to kind of "exercise" things, see where they would land. Can't operate it any other way as we all know.

Micro lenses are a bit of a different animal. If I remember correctly, you can get f/2.8 when focusing at infinity. As you focus closer, the effective f stop increases. The camera sees the effective f stop.
You nailed it. It didn't occur to me to try in at infinity because I never mount this lens for anything but close work.

I have some constant aperture fast lens I bought when shooting film. Another reason was build quality. I believed it when they said all metal construction can take more abuse. While I've always tried to be nice to my equipment my 80-200 f2.8D is at Nikon right now for an overhaul for a couple of issues.

Micro lenses are pushing things I don't understand and I'm not really concerned if I can't get to f2.8 at a 1:1 ratio. I usually stop down when that close anyway. Now with the great performance at iso 400, 800 and 1600 these new cameras offer, I won't be buying lenses based on speed, rather I'll be looking at what others here say about sharpness.

I appreciate all the replies here.

And THIS is the reason why I am so infuriated at the camera manufacturers trying to make cameras smarter than me.

it never works out like that.

You nailed it. It didn't occur to me to try in at infinity because I never mount this lens for anything but close work.

I have some constant aperture fast lens I bought when shooting film. Another reason was build quality. I believed it when they said all metal construction can take more abuse. While I've always tried to be nice to my equipment my 80-200 f2.8D is at Nikon right now for an overhaul for a couple of issues.

Micro lenses are pushing things I don't understand and I'm not really concerned if I can't get to f2.8 at a 1:1 ratio. I usually stop down when that close anyway. Now with the great performance at iso 400, 800 and 1600 these new cameras offer, I won't be buying lenses based on speed, rather I'll be looking at what others here say about sharpness.

I appreciate all the replies here.
You threw us a curve ball there, Joe. When in your original post you said you couldn't get to the maximum aperture, I thought you meant that you couldn't get to the maximum aperture. It's good you now know that the maximum aperture decreases by 2 stops when you go from infinity to 1:1.

You threw us a curve ball there, Joe. When in your original post you said you couldn't get to the maximum aperture, I thought you meant that you couldn't get to the maximum aperture. It's good you now know that the maximum aperture decreases by 2 stops when you go from infinity to 1:1.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back