Cant Wait to Hear what Big Mike says.....

zendianah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.zenphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This question is for anyone .....

How do you calibrate your monitor? Is their software for this?
I have a Dell Dimension 8400..

My color from monitor to print is almost ALWAYS off.

Uh oh...now people are expecting me to reply :roll: :lol: :D

To do it properly, you need a hardware device to read the monitor output. I use the Colorvision Spyder II. I got it with the 'Express' software package (there are three different software packages). I tried to calibrate my monitor without any device and it just didn't work. Since getting the Spyder, I'm very happy with my monitor.

I've also heard good things about the PANTONE® huey.

Thank you Big Mike...

For some reason I didnt think I would need a software program.. I really thought it was a stupid question. I thought you would say something like... Go to your Preference.. Select monitor click calibrate... DUHH easy.. common genius.. u can do it.. So in other words.. Im glad its not that easy and it does require software. :)

Uh oh...now people are expecting me to reply :roll: :lol: :D

To do it properly, you need a hardware device to read the monitor output. I use the Colorvision Spyder II. I got it with the 'Express' software package (there are three different software packages). I tried to calibrate my monitor without any device and it just didn't work. Since getting the Spyder, I'm very happy with my monitor.

I've also heard good things about the PANTONE® huey.

Mike, can you only use the spyder on one computer or can it be shared?

Good question...I'm not sure :scratch:

I think you may be able to use it on multiple computers but I'm not sure if that is a violation of the software licence. I know that the higher priced packages are meant for professionals and are OK to calibrate multiple monitors. I think they have a comparison of the different packages on their site.

I am not Mike, but it can be shared, you will have to load the software on each computer/monitor that you plan to calibrate.

I've seen a few free applications...I have even tried web sites that show you a scale of different tones and say that if you can differentiate between each tone, you are good to go.

Like I said, nothing worked until I got the Spyder.

I've seen a few free applications...I have even tried web sites that show you a scale of different tones and say that if you can differentiate between each tone, you are good to go.

Like I said, nothing worked until I got the Spyder.

gotcha.. !! I'll give Spyder a go..

Off the subject since you are a moderator.. Is there a "Most Improved Photographer" Competion?

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I'd rather not breach copyright, and I have a few computers in my basement (some not belonging to me, but friends who have left them here).

Exactly how big of a difference is it Mike? for some reason I just feel that for 80 dollars the difference cant be that much, let alone spending hundreds for the same change. Any chance you could post a screen shot of before and after? (not sure that my monitor would pick up the change. I am just trying to see how much of a difference this makes.

Well, I can't really do a before & after...since my monitor is calibrated and has been for a while now. The program does show you a before and after when it's done it calibration. I re-calibrate every month or so...the first time was a pretty significant different but since then it's pretty constant.

It cost me $100 CND, it was a hard pill to swallow, for what should be an easy thing to adjust...but my prints didn't look right and I couldn't get it right. After calibrating, it's so much better. At least I know that it's correct on my end. If you are really serious about it, and you print at home...you can also get a printer calibration package...but I send my photos out to be printed.

Thanks mike. I currently dont do much printing, but I would like to start (Im just now really getting into photography) so calibration will probably be in my somewhat distant future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back