Canvas Question

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Over the past couple of weeks, I have been considering developing some of my photos into canvas. Does anyone have any recommendations on who to use? I considered Snapfish, but Im guessing better alternatives exists. Also, I assume some photos look better on canvas than others…any insight on what type of photos or attributes work well on canvas?

Thanks!

I've had a couple large canvas prints made up. I have them done at my local lab, but lucky for me, they are supposedly the best in Canada (probably not a good option for you).

They were landscape shots...and the aspects that I usually like about my landscapes, are not necessarily the things that I love most in the canvas prints. For example, I usually like shots with still, mirror-like water that either reflects the sky/background or allows you to see clear down to the bottom. However, the first canvas I had printed, had water that wasn't so calm & still. But the way that water looks on the canvas, is my favorite part of it. It seems to ripple & sparkle as you walk by and the angle of the light changes.

I think it's the combination of the canvas texture and the reflectivity of the metallic paper that they use as a base for the transfer to canvas.
I'm not sure if everyone uses metallic prints for their canvases, but my lab does and it's fantastic.

Canvas-01.jpg

Canvas-02.jpg

i cant reccomend anywhere in particular but can say, make sure you find out how much they wrap and if they use a boarder. a god place will put a black or white boarder round it and use that for wrapping. most photo labs will wrap your picture loosing an inch or more each side depending on the canvas size. you can see an example of this in big mikes pic. a picture like this does not matter as much but a portrait... you can loose the top of someones head if not carefull

Also check the price for the printing and the finishing/wrapping etc. It's not always clear until you pay for it. For example, that 'Gallery Wrap' canvas cost as much to finish as it did to print.

Most reactions

Back