capture images from video and tv

darko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi i am new to this forum and hopping someone could help me. im trying to capture images from blue ray dvds and make them into high resalution pics

qustions

what software do i need?
do i need a high priced graphics card and blue ray reader / cdrom

what im trying to do is get good quality images like the one below. i dont know how they did beacuse its a old film. i thought the quility would have been realy bad but its ok

http://www.pulpfiction.spinka.pl/img/pf_03d.jpg

I'm guessing you may not get the best answer here, but you never know. TPF is mostly focused on images that are originated, manipulated and presented as still shots, well that and acting like loons in between times...

See how you go though, someone might know something.

You need a video capture card.
For Blu-Ray you'll need an HD capture card. Google around.

Would this not be a violation of copyright laws? Just thought someone should state the obvious.

it may be tricky to get high-res pics, even if it is from an HD source like Blu-ray, especially if you are trying to get a single frame out of a video clip to get a picture. You'd need a capture card so you can go video out from the TV/dvd player to your PC. Then, you need software to capture the data, usually included in the capture card box. Then, if you want to isolate a single frame from a video clip, you'd have to put the clip into a video-editing program, and export the single frame. If the dvd is just pictures, then no need for extra software. There may be an easier way around for the video thing.

I imagine the image you posted was an actual still from the movie printed from the original film. You see the copyright holder for the film would be in posession of the source material as it is geerally his own creation and he/she would have the rights to the images. Personally if I am wanting to get a still lmage as in the case of trying to extract a still from home movies I will just shoot a still image at the time. If you are trying to make posters from movies why not just buy them???.

because a certain scene you want is not printed/available? i dunno...

Blu-ray and DVD is nowhere near high resolution in terms of still photography, nor is it high resolution when compared to movie film - even 'old' film.

Maximum resolution:
Blu-ray and HD DVD: 1920 x 1080
DVD: 720 x 480 for NTSC and 720 x 576 for PAL

All those three formats apply compression.

The frames may also be interlaced, and that will mean that you need to de-interlace the two fields, and possibly apply interpolation software if there is movement between the fields.

Best,
Helen

Blu-ray and DVD is nowhere near high resolution in terms of still photography, nor is it high resolution when compared to movie film - even 'old' film.

Maximum resolution:
Blu-ray and HD DVD: 1920 x 1080
DVD: 720 x 480 for NTSC and 720 x 576 for PAL

All those three formats apply compression.

The frames may also be interlaced, and that will mean that you need to de-interlace the two fields, and possibly apply interpolation software if there is movement between the fields.

Best,
Helen

There is no interlacing in true HD (1080P) That's what the P stands for.
But you are right...the resolution is not very high compared to digital photography.

There is no interlacing in true HD (1080P) That's what the P stands for.
But you are right...the resolution is not very high compared to digital photography.

'True HD' is anything over 720X480 so 721 is technically HD.
True 1080P is a 'progressive' image which means that it was captured at one time. Interlaced means that half of the image (odd lines) were captured, then the other half (even lines) then they get merged together by the camera.

It is possible to have 1080i which is interlaced.

I don't know that they make computer monitors that are progressive but I could be wrong. I just haven't worked on any that are so ???
Anyhow if I go out and shoot 24P video and then rip it to my computer at home it becomes 29.97fps which is the NTSC standard meaning that it is no longer Progressive.

Most reactions

Back