Capture NX 2

I am not familiari with c-nx2. I use a nikon camera with postprocessing using Photomatix, photoshop and NikEffexor plug in. Does nx2 software do different things or the same as what I already am using? Is there an advantage to my getting/using nx2?

It's designed for Nikon proprietary .NEF files. It can, however, edit any .JPEG and .TIF file.

It's not made for graphics like PhotoShop is capable of... it's geared more towards post-processing photographs instead. You can't creates lines, gradients, etc. C-NX2 doesn't do Layers, either. But you don't need to with it's U-Point feature. You can search YouTube for all sorts of tutorials. I prefer C-NX2 because it does what I want to do in my post processing so I don't need to spend 4-8 times as much for PhotoShop, LightRoom, and all those others.

BTW, here's one lesser-known feature of C-NX2: No matter how much you edit your RAW images, your original file is just one click away. This may be true for the PhotoShop family, but it's a feature I don't think I've ever seen mentioned here on the forum, at least since I joined.

Not only are your editing steps reversible/changeable, but you can also save multiple iterations of the same original image. What this means is I can save multiple edits using the original filename.

For instance, let's say I have a photo I have titled "Red 57 Chevy at Car Show". I can load the image into C-NX2, and play with the curves, saturation, contrast, etc. and Save the file. But before I save it, I can create another Version of the original I will call "Original Edit". I can now save the file under the original filename, "Red 57 Chevy at Car Show". Both versions will then be saved.

Now let's say two months later, I need a black & white version. I load the "Red 57 Chevy at Car Show" file into C-NX2, and create another Version. I do my conversion, and simple Save the file. now all three edits are saved under the "Red 57 Chevy at Car Show" filename.

Next year, I need a vintage-era color edit. I load the same, old file in, and create yet another Version. I do my edit, calling it "Vintage Era Color" (remember, this is a Version created within C-NX-2, not a new file!), perform my edit, and I just need to Save the file. No "Save As...." for each edit. Just "Save". All my Versions are available at any time in the future. I can add more Versions, or delete any of them.

Another feature of C-NX2: It has a 1-click option to correct the fisheye distortion of Nikon's 10.5mm DX-format fisheye.

Original capture:

FisheyeBeforeCorrection.jpg

Full frame correction:

FisheyeAfterCorrection.jpg

Or, I can correct the entire original data:

FisheyeAfterCorrectionfull.jpg

... and crop out the missing-data areas.....

FisheyeAfterCorrectionfullcropped.jpg

Sadly, Nikon doesn't have this feature for the FX 16mm, or any third-party fisheye lens.

One more feature of C-NX2: I can edit any .JPEG of .TIF, and you can save it as a .NEF file. It does not convert it to a true Nikon .NEF file, but it saves your editng steps seperately. So just like in the video above, you can return and re-edit from your original file, as well as create multiple Versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not familiari with c-nx2. I use a nikon camera with postprocessing using Photomatix, photoshop and NikEffexor plug in. Does nx2 software do different things or the same as what I already am using? Is there an advantage to my getting/using nx2?

Nikon gives free with all it's cameras a simplified editing program called Nikon View NX2, which is pretty good with RAW files. So if you bought your Nikon new, you should have gotten the CD with it.

Nikon Capture NX 2 is a stand alone full picture editing program. Works great, and one of it's main features is Color Points. I'm finding it so much more to my liking then Elements 10 of which I had the demo for a month. Stop by the Nikon home page and do a search for Capture NX 2. They have several intro videos that will explain the program much better then I can.

Capture is the only editor that will use your in camera settings if you shoot in RAW.
Huge plus in my book.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back