Capture NX, Photoshop, Lightroom

kdabbagh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
to anyone that can help...

I finally purchased all three, I've never used Capture NX or Lightroom but have some amateur experience with Photoshop.

Does anyone know where I can find some reliable tutorials on how to use those programs?

There's so much scattered information online, and was wondering if one of you came across something exhaustive that sufficed your educational needs.

Last question, is there anyway in Windows Vista to show the image of .NEF files in thumbnails, like JPEG's for example? On my computer I just see the Capture NX or Photoshop icons.

Thanks for any help

There are lots of good books out there on Photoshop and Lightroom. I have Photoshop for Dummies and Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2 books. Reading a good book will save you lots of time learning these complex and many featured programs.

May I ask why purchase all three? Capture NX and Lightroom do nearly the same thing.

NEF files are RAW files that change from camera to camera. Software needs to specifically know how to read each camera's RAW format which is why Vista has no idea how to preview them normally. I say this is probably a moot point. Once you learn to use Lightroom you have a spectacular image browser at your fingertips. Import all photos into Lightroom and you won't look at NEFs in explorer again :)

I own all 3 as well.

For Nikon users, Capture NX can access the NEF data in ways that no other application can. It can also apply Nikon proprietary changes (ie: D-lighting). The problem with NX is that it is a clunky piece of software that is an extreme memory hog. It is slow and cumbersome and in general, just not well designed. IMHO, Nikon should just share the APIs and stick to making great cameras.

Lightroom is ok for most things, but once you get past the intermediate level and want to really do some more advanced things, then Photoshop is the only way to go.

For a lot of pros, software like LightRoom or Capture One are their primary editor, with PhotoShop as a backup if there are significant alterations that need to be made. Unless you are doing compositing or other major local edits, there is not much that you can't do in LightRoom, particularly with the addition of dodge/burn and other localized adjustments in LR2.

Adobe is feeling a lot of love from LR2 users... lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back