Worflow & Color Space | Camera > Ligthroom > Photoshop > Ligthroom > Web with Calibrated Monitor

snowreg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I have a problem regarding my workflow and understand the principle of Color space

I have a monitor BENQ SW2700PT calibrated with Spyder Pro
So I have have another Color Profile Named "BENQ SW2700PT Color Profile,D6500"; than the pre-configured ones (AdobeRGB, sRGB),

Windows is using this Color Profile (BENQ SW2700PT Color Profile,D6500)

I shoot with Sony A7RIV RAW+ JPEG with Color profile sRGB
(I chose sRGB in order to be able to use directly the JPEG file on the WEB)

Then I import my RAW files in Lightroom.
In Lightroom preferences, the only reference to a color profile is in External Editor.
I have "Edit in Photoshop 2021", TIFF - Adobe RGB (1998) - 16 bits - 240 - zip
upload_2021-2-4_18-49-58.png

I do the minimum adjustments under Ligthroom, then I open/edit in Photoshop.

As this moment, I have an Alert Windows "Embedded Profile Mismatch" asking me if I want:
Embedded: Adobe RGB (1998)
Working: Monitor RGB - BENQ SW2700PT Color Profile,D6500
- Use the embedded profile (instead of the working space)
- Convert document's colors to the working space
- Discard the embedded profile (don't color manage)
upload_2021-2-4_18-51-34.png

And here, I don't know what to chose?

Aftermodification in Photoshop, I'm back to Ligthroom
I can do again few adjustments.

Finally, I export from Ligthroom in JPEG with conversion to sRGB (with sRGB Embedded profile)

So my questions are:
1) What should I chose in the "Embedded Profile Mismatch" window?
2) Why?
3) Is there anything else wrong in my worflow?

Thank you in advance for your advices
Snowreg

Hello,

I have a problem regarding my workflow and understand the principle of Color space

So I have have another Color Profile Named "BENQ SW2700PT Color Profile,D6500"; than the pre-configured ones (AdobeRGB, sRGB),

In Lightroom preferences, the only reference to a color profile is in External Editor.
Lightroom does not provide an option to change working color space. It correctly forces you to do all editing in the ProPhoto color space (LR's own minor variant of ProPhoto). You have the option to apply a different color space only when you export an image out of LR.

View attachment 203147
If you're making a round trip to Photoshop and returning to LR where you will do your final image export then don't do a color space conversion. You're in ProPhoto in LR so send the image to PS in ProPhoto and not Adobe RGB.

Unless you have a specific need for tools in PS consider doing as much as possible in LR up to and including doing the entire edit in LR and avoid PS altogether. Why create that monster TIFF file if you don't have to?

As this moment, I have an Alert Windows "Embedded Profile Mismatch" asking me if I want:
View attachment 203148
Your PS working color space should not be the device specific monitor profile. Photoshop's working color space needs to be a device independent color space and since your passing images from LR you should go to color preferences in PS and set the working color space to ProPhoto. You won't get the Mismatch warning and you'll be following correct color management practice.

Finally, I export from Ligthroom in JPEG with conversion to sRGB (with sRGB Embedded profile)

So my questions are:
2) Why?

Snowreg

Hello Yasarex,

First, thank you for your help, I have know a better understanding.

I changed in Lightroom the settings, by the way, what should be the Resolution value, I was using 240, and in this article the guy is using 300
Everything You Need to Know About Lightroom and Colour Space

upload_2021-2-5_10-13-51.png

In Photoshop, my Working Space, is the one of my Monitor profile, I suppose that's right setting ?
But now I have doubts, because in the dropdown menu I found some other Monitor profiles that looks more the result of my Calibration with my Spyder Pro.

upload_2021-2-5_10-17-37.png

upload_2021-2-5_10-22-38.png

So maybe, I'm not using the right one?

Under Windows, I see only one profile:

upload_2021-2-5_10-25-9.png

In Photoshop, in Camera Raw settings, I set also to "Prophoto RGB" like you adviced me (it was Adobe RGB)

upload_2021-2-5_10-29-28.png

I restarted Lightroom and Photoshop, and when I Edit in Photoshop from Lightroom, I still get the Alert Window:

So I should chose to "Use the embedded profile", but I don't know why I continue to get this alert message?

upload_2021-2-5_10-32-14.png

So to summarize, my questions are:

1) Is my Workflow okay now?
2) Do you confirm I have to chose "Use the embedded profile"?
3) How to stop to have this alert window if everything is right now?
4) Do I use the correct Monitor Profile (after my calibration)? If not, how can I do that Windows is proposing it?

Thank you in advance for your help
Snow

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-5_10-12-33.png
    upload_2021-2-5_10-12-33.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 66
Hello Yasarex,

First, thank you for your help, I have know a better understanding.

I changed in Lightroom the settings, by the way, what should be the Resolution value, I was using 240, and in this article the guy is using 300
The resolution figure is pretty meaningless and you can ignore it. The value is PPI -- pixels per inch. If you change the pixel count the inch value changes and the photo stays the same. In other words if your photo is 6000 X 4000 pixels at 240 PPI and you change the PPI value to 72 your photo is still 6000 X 4000 pixels and that is what matters. PPI is easy to change again at any time and it doesn't physically alter the photo.

Everything You Need to Know About Lightroom and Colour Space

View attachment 203166

In Photoshop, my Working Space, is the one of my Monitor profile, I suppose that's right setting ?
But now I have doubts, because in the dropdown menu I found some other Monitor profiles that looks more the result of my Calibration with my Spyder Pro.

View attachment 203167

View attachment 203168

So maybe, I'm not using the right one?

Under Windows, I see only one profile:

View attachment 203169

In Photoshop, in Camera Raw settings, I set also to "Prophoto RGB" like you adviced me (it was Adobe RGB)

View attachment 203170

I restarted Lightroom and Photoshop, and when I Edit in Photoshop from Lightroom, I still get the Alert Window:

So I should chose to "Use the embedded profile", but I don't know why I continue to get this alert message?

View attachment 203171
So to summarize, my questions are:

1) Is my Workflow okay now?

No. You need to change the working color space in Photoshop's color settings. Change the Photoshop working color space to ProPhoto. Do not use the device profile of your monitor for a working color space. The alert message will not appear once you make that change.

2) Do you confirm I have to chose "Use the embedded profile"?
3) How to stop to have this alert window if everything is right now?

Everything isn't right now. The Photoshop working color space should not be a device specific profile. Your monitor color space does not belong there -- change the working space to ProPhoto in the Photoshop Color Settings.

4) Do I use the correct Monitor Profile (after my calibration)? If not, how can I do that Windows is proposing it?

When your monitor calibrator completes it's work it creates a device dependent ICC profile for the monitor and saves that as the system profile for the monitor. Windows shows that correctly and uses that profile. Adobe software will also use the profile appropriately but it is not the appropriate profile for your PS working color space.

Thank you in advance for your help
Snow[/QUOTE]

Hello,

Lightroom does not provide an option to change working color space. It correctly forces you to do all editing in the ProPhoto color space (LR's own minor variant of ProPhoto). You have the option to apply a different color space only when you export an image out of LR.

View attachment 203147
If you're making a round trip to Photoshop and returning to LR where you will do your final image export then don't do a color space conversion. You're in ProPhoto in LR so send the image to PS in ProPhoto and not Adobe RGB.

Unless you have a specific need for tools in PS consider doing as much as possible in LR up to and including doing the entire edit in LR and avoid PS altogether. Why create that monster TIFF file if you don't have to?

View attachment 203148
Your PS working color space should not be the device specific monitor profile. Photoshop's working color space needs to be a device independent color space and since your passing images from LR you should go to color preferences in PS and set the working color space to ProPhoto. You won't get the Mismatch warning and you'll be following correct color management practice.

So my questions are:
2) Why?

Snowreg

Wow Ysarex, I'm impressed! So very few understand this, but you've got it down pat.

This is a good post to learn from.
Profiles for color have always lost me because I have never had any luck with creating one and making it stick.
This is at least some good reference data.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back