Car choices

I have 2 GTI's. There is a reason why.

I have 2 GTI's. There is a reason why.
they break down a lot?

Urban legend. I have owned just about every car manufacturer under the sun. The vw is really no different. You do pay a little higher cost for service, however it is worth it to me. Have to keep them maintained on the maintenance schedule and they are plenty reliable. To me it's not an "appliance" as I would classify other vehicles I have owned. Best daily commuter car out there.

Got this being transferred from RI To CT and will have it in CT next week transfer fees waved. A 2012 Ford fusion SE 40 thousand + miles with One owner with a Clean car fax and a well maintained record this will be a second family car along with our 2013 VW Passat and other then the air bag Igniter recall,headlight assembly recall where they had to take
the entire front bumper off its been a good car motor and drive train is very strong. However the ride quality of the fusion blows away the passat all day long
26733410_575194069490165_4721541910526496475_n.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta brag about my "old lady", a 2000 Nissan Xterra 4x4 SE, I put 247,000 miles on it without repairs outside the usual maintenance and wear and tear. She took me everywhere I wanted to go, off road too. Now I have a 2015 Xterra 4x4, which I also love. Planning to keep it another 200,000 miles.

My girlfriend has a Mark VI GTI. Service is more expensive than non-german makes, but we are talking the same money as the occasional extra tank of gas. On the other hand, I thought my Mark IV GTI was a better overall car (obviously not as fast).

I had a Honda Accord back in the 90's put over 300,000 miles on her until I totaled it and still running to the bone yard.I changed the timing belt and water pump part of normal maintenance every 90,000 miles. I am Glad many later models went back to the use of timing chain for those that don't know if your engine has belt or chain its important to know this as with timing belts its a normal maintenance and crucial part for replacement at manufacture recommended mileage. I was a full time mechanic before I made a career change.

Last edited:
Non interference motors ftw.

I could do a belt change on my Miata in like 30min.

Exactly None Interference vs interference engines. My wifes friend picked up a used Saturn 300LS 100,000 miles all she could afford at the time but it was mint in and out and ran excellent full leather really nice car but there was no record or any other signs or markings indicating the timing belt may have been changed so I gave her some friendly advice to have it done asap but she shrugged me off and a month later it snapped and that was that for the Saturn engine was toast but I didn't say I told her so as she was crying on the phone to my wife. what little chance there was to ever having the car possibly run again she ruined by cranking the motor over and over and over and over.LOL

Last edited:
I had a Honda Accord back in the 90's put over 300,000 miles on her until I totaled it and still running to the bone yard.
I had an Accord LXi hatchback. Rust got it. Had it 17 years, I think. Don't recall mileage. Were it not for the rust I've have kept that car another 17 years. Drivetrain and interior were flawless when I donated that car.

I loved that car like no other car I'd owned before or have since.

Didn't like the CR-V that replaced it nearly as well. (Though it kicked-backside in snow and off-road.) Rust got it, too. As well as the 2007 4WD Chevy TrailBlazer that replaced it. (I really liked the TrailBlazer.)

Recent search took me from considering a Porsche Cayenne (too expensive), through VW Touareg (uninteresting w/o TDI, which is scarce around here), Subaru Forester and Toyota 4Runner (neither of which "spoke to me"), and finally to a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with which I'm so far quite pleased.

IMG_0315-750x563.JPG

This Jeep just might replace my Accord as best vehicle I've ever owned. It'll all depend on how well it holds up.

Coincidentally, now that I think of it: It's nearly the same colour as was my Accord.

Nice Jeep.I had a 2000 Grand Cherokee 4.0 engine as reliable as the sun but everything else started to drain my wallet.rear Axles seals leaking so had them done at the local garage and the bearings are pressed so its not a simple task to replace the seals $ 720.00 dollars latter fixed.Then other little things started to go then the ignition switch was flaky I had to wiggle the key around to get the ignition to unlock to start but the last straw was the auto transmission started to bang shifting from one gear to another so sold it fast as I didn't want that cost. I got to say though it was the best vehicle I ever had in the snow it just went through everything like it was a sunny dry day.

Last edited:
my current short list is:

550i xdrive and CLS550 4matic.

I was considering the XF SC, but there's too much I dislike about it. The ATS V6 is on the long list. I was sold on a Q50s Hybrid AWD but the lack of a trunk and/or fold down rear seats was a deal breaker.

is350 awd f-sport is too much $$$.

I current own a c350 coupe 4matic. I'd buy my same car again in 4dr, but here's the stupid thing: I have a C350 4matic; so a 3.5L v6 sport model with AWD. In the sedan, if you want the 3.5L, you can only get it in the RWD Sport model. If you want 4matic, you can only get it in the 3.0L non-sport model. really annoys me. Don't really like the e-class.

Hard to find the perfect car. I fell in love with a Buick then after putting the driver seat to fit me and i'm only 5' 8 could not sit my shortest son of 5'2 in the back seat with his knees crunched up into the drivers seat and its suppose to be a midsize family sedan that's just unacceptable its not a corvette. what are they thinking that people wont notice this stuff. I also hate when a car don't come with the color combinations you want mainly interior colors. Ok buying used clean cars maybe you cant get to picky but paying big bucks for a new car you should be able to get any combo you want IMO.

Last edited:
I drive a somewhat ratty 1999 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab. But I've always liked cars.
Mazda 3 is a perennial favorite of drivers.
Back in the 80s I had a temp job driving cars from the dock to the make ready area.
We drove Mitsubishi, BMW and other stuff.
BMW were very nice at that time.
Mitsubishi were ok.
The BMW 850I was freaking awesome.
We moved Trabant too and they were terrible with a capital T.
We had a 1990 Jeep Cherokee.
It was a pretty decent car but only used electric fan and when the fan quit the engine blew up. We currently have a 2001 Montero Sport. Not the nicest driving vehicle ever but pretty reliable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back