Car people, solve my dilemma!!!!!

I agree, the mustang's interior, like all american cars (besides ford recently) are awful. But the exterior is admittedly very pleasant.

But that 3.7 v6 motor makes 300hp and lots of owners are reporting upwards of 40mpg on the highway with it (there a lot of technology in that motor). It runs on 87 octane as well, even the v8 does; that's incredibly impressive. If I wasn't such a 5-dr fan, I'd probably own one.

I drive a 2012 5.0 and I have a lengthy commute similar in length to yours. Previously I was driving a '09 Focus, just for the frugality of it, but ultimately I decided that sometimes indulgences are OK, if you have fun.

Besides, I don't think the additional fuel cost I'm seeing is all that big of a deal, especially since the Stang will only be driven 6 months out of the year. If the on-dash meter is to be believed, I get 28mpg at 70mph all day long on the highway. Reducing speed to 55ish nets me a steady 34-35mpg or so.

Of course, "spirited" city driving causes the mileage to plummet, but I track it using an iPhone app and my last few tanks of combined city/highway driving have been 23mpg and better, one of them even hitting 24.7. Not too shabby for a conservatively rated 412hp V8.

As for the interior, I had a 2000 Mustang GT 14 years ago, brand new, and that interior was bloody archaic and embarrassing, even at the time. On this 2012, it's nothing world-class, but I just don't see what's so awful about it. I'm actually quite satisfied with the way it looks and feels, especially at night with all the configurable ambient lighting (I thought that feature sounded corny when I first heard about it, but I've grown to like it... for what it is). I hear no creaky plastic or rattles whatsoever, even with a booming catback exhaust that probably makes the Pepsi in my neighbor's fridge go flat when I start the car. :D

I would take the Gt85 all day long. Especially the Gt85 is brand new and the Beamer is used. If you go with the 135, repairs will be very expensive. Why not lease a new 135? Leasing is the only time I consider a German.

Besides, I don't think the additional fuel cost I'm seeing is all that big of a deal, especially since the Stang will only be driven 6 months out of the year. If the on-dash meter is to be believed, I get 28mpg at 70mph all day long on the highway. Reducing speed to 55ish nets me a steady 34-35mpg or so.

Of course, "spirited" city driving causes the mileage to plummet, but I track it using an iPhone app and my last few tanks of combined city/highway driving have been 23mpg and better, one of them even hitting 24.7. Not too shabby for a conservatively rated 412hp V8.

I have yet to log better than 24.1mpg in my WRX since almost 2 years of ownership. But I can cruise upwards of 30mpg, just gotta stay out of boost. My gas mileage in traffic isn't even bad, it's normal "errand" driving to the store at the end of the week that typically kills me.

the difference in 87 to 93 in my area is 50 cents. That adds up, especially if you can increase the mpgs. I can potentially save close to $1000 a year in gas alone if I was able to average 4mpg better and use 87 octane.

I got used to my miata, which still made 240rwhp but was hard to get under 25mpg.

I saw mention of auto. If auto, get the most powerful engine you can afford. the FRS will stink with an auto.

I have yet to log better than 24.1mpg in my WRX since almost 2 years of ownership. But I can cruise upwards of 30mpg, just gotta stay out of boost. My gas mileage in traffic isn't even bad, it's normal "errand" driving to the store at the end of the week that typically kills me.

the difference in 87 to 93 in my area is 50 cents. That adds up, especially if you can increase the mpgs. I can potentially save close to $1000 a year in gas alone if I was able to average 4mpg better and use 87 octane.

I got used to my miata, which still made 240rwhp but was hard to get under 25mpg.

I saw mention of auto. If auto, get the most powerful engine you can afford. the FRS will stink with an auto.

The FRS in auto with paddle shift is actually pretty fun to drive and no slouch either. My buddy has one and I driven it a few times. The paddle shift tranny is very responsive unlike the paddle shifter from a few years ago.

Most reactions

Back