Carter C&C

KelSS90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently took some 9 month shots of my nephew for my SIL ... would love some feedback for the next time around. I've added in some compositional thought on here, but would also really, really appreciate some technical feedback on these (as I have huge improvements to make there).

(1) $DSC_0098-2.jpg
*I wish the line of the grass wasn't decapitating him here.

(2) $DSC_0119.jpg
*Chopped his toes here :(

(3) $DSC_0184.jpg
*I think I like the large foreground space here with the lines leading into the kiddos, but maybe it's too much and needs cropped down?

EXIF Data for 1&2: 50mm, f/2.5, 1/1000, ISO-400
EXIF Data for 3: 50mm, f/3.5, 1/250, ISO-400
-Taken with Nikon D3200, 50mm prime.

1. I'm not a fan of the composition, I think this might be an example of where shooting a portait in landscape orientation would have been a better option.

2. Well, look at that, just what I was hoping for. I really like this one, the best of the set imo. That said, it's odd to see part of his foot chopped off. I do wish there was a bit less detail on the background, but overall it's pretty solid and the pose/expression is great.

3. It's...ok. I don't get much out of it. Could have been done better with a telephoto to collapse the space and really focus on the subjects, while still utilizing those leading lines.

Thanks for the feedback, Austin! I really appreciate it.

I actually do have the first one in landscape as well... the original vertical crop had more of the trees, with the subject in the bottom third. I liked both and mom got copies of both orientations, but here is the landscape :)

$DSC_0090.jpg

For the third, I have one of the kids facing the camera which I would have liked much more than them facing away, but I WAY missed focus and then somehow made it worse when trying to fix it in Lightroom. Chalk it up to a rookie mistake and take it as a learned lesson, I suppose. This is why I take pictures just for family, and just as a favor. I can guarantee them nothing at this point ;)

$DSC_0192.jpg

Thanks again for taking the time to look and critique!.

Bump for the evening crowd. Any and all thoughts would be great to hear.

Really cute ideas...adorable kids and poses. Maybe try getting a little closer and applying the rule of thirds would kick them up a little. I played around with them in Photoscape. Cropped, making subjects off center, used "region out of focus" to shorten depth of field and take notice away from scrubby trees in the background. Increased contrast slightly in first one. Just some ideas. :)

Attachments

• $DSC_0090.jpg
    $DSC_0090.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 97
  • $DSC_0192.jpg
    $DSC_0192.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 100

Most reactions

New Topics

Back