Cat in a window

wfooshee

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This image is a three-frame HDR, the frames 2 stops apart, matrix metered. I was really surprised how well it turned out, and it showed me what HDR can really do to recover an "impossible" image.

16407239435_77aa992b17_b.jpg

In the three frames, the metered image has both blown out sky and silhouetted cat, with the items in the window shelves fairly well exposed. The 2-stops-over is white sky and reasonable cat, with the white blown out so much you can't even see the blinds, and the 2-stop-under has good sky, not much else useful. The final image could use a bit more contrast, I think, but playing with that always darkened the cat and the dark bunny piece too much.

Now that I look at it here, I ought to crop out the section of wall on the right; it contributes nothing, I simply left the frame full as shot.

I've used HDR on some sunsets and landscapes, I think this is my only interior shot that I've used it on. It's also my best HDR result, without question.

Only three shots because the camera I used at the time would only bracket three shots at a time, and I was hand holding, so I couldn't change settings manually to get more shots.

As an aside, I've been on TPF for years, never really perused the HDR section until lately. I have to say that I'm happy to see people commenting about images not being overdone, because I personally do not like the cartoony effect of severe HDR, nor the ghosting you see so often in the light-dark transitions. I think that's why I've left this section alone, because that kind of stuff is what I expected to find!

Last edited:
It's a remarkably nice result. Very natural-looking; at first glance, one would not identify it as an HDR. Which is what a good HDR should be.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back