CC Self portrait B/W

Oxytocinbite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had another self portrait that I liked more but I think I accidentally deleted it thinking it was on the computer..but here goes nothing..I would like everyone to give there opinion and what I could do to make my future self portraits to look better.

Well done! What was your lighting setup?

As portraits go, it's not anything special. Try this:

Frame in portrait (unless there is a reason to frame on landscape).
Frame looser.
Move the light around so the light isn't so flat.
Do something with your expression.

Frame looser.

I never really tried to frame portrait, but I will see what I can do with that. I agree that it could probably be better not so close and as for the facial expression..yes it is pretty expressionless.

Well done! What was your lighting setup?

I just set the camera on the window pane with some natural light pouring through. I did touch it up a bit in photo shop, nothing extreme though.

this area looks completely burnt out and texture-less

$11807399185_70cb9580b4lll.jpg

Yeah I know..I'll just try again.

Frame looser.

I never really tried to frame portrait, but I will see what I can do with that. I agree that it could probably be better not so close and as for the facial expression..yes it is pretty expressionless.

I take it you don't have a tripod yet. In that case, shoot horizontally (with the camera resting on the windowsill) but frame way big, and crop off the sides later. Don't worry, you'll still get a picture, even if your face looks way too tiny when you first look at it.

If you are close to the window, put in a little bit of "less exposure", but if you are far away, put in just a touch of "more exposure" using the exposure compensation feature. Try a bunch of shots in every way that you can think of, and then keep only the best one. Throw the rest in the trash. :idea:

Frame looser.

I take it you don't have a tripod yet. In that case, shoot horizontally (with the camera resting on the windowsill) but frame way big, and crop off the sides later. Don't worry, you'll still get a picture, even if your face looks way too tiny when you first look at it.

If you are close to the window, put in a little bit of "less exposure", but if you are far away, put in just a touch of "more exposure" using the exposure compensation feature. Try a bunch of shots in every way that you can think of, and then keep only the best one. Throw the rest in the trash. :idea:

It all sounds like a good idea but if I have a feeling I will prefer landscape over portrait. I wish I did have a tripod though, it would really help.

Some portraits benefit from a landscape format, but only if it makes sense, IMO. Landscape just to be in landscape often feels "forced" and with no apparent reason it fails, IMO.

I for one like brighter (as some would say "burnt out") portraits. More high fashion to me. I like it. I'd neatin the hair a bit and bring up the shadown in the hair some. Most of my portraits of girls/woman I try to make more high key. With guys I go for more texture in the skin.

Thank you, I agree I prefer the brighter or "burnt out" pictures. Everyone has different preferences, which is why art can't exactly be wrong. I appreciate all the different opinions and ideas though.

Most reactions

Back