CD's

PT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to photography. What Cd's do people use to copy their pictures onto disk? Sony CD-R's alright?

Should be matey, I use anything, as loong as they got some room.
Sony should work fine, but try getting some re writavles to use aswell.

When it comes to CD-Rs I would stick to brand names if you want quality and reliability. There is an old thread on this forum where I talked about a cheap no-name CD exploded in my computer. So far I've never lost data or had CDs failing on me from the more trusted brand names. Some of my CDs are over 5 years old too. There's almost nothing worst then losting your pictures to a bad CD.

I've used a few Sony CDs and they aren't that bad. I usually like TDK CDs myself, but there are a handful of good brands out there.

Also, you won't need rewritable unless...well, unless you need rewritables. If you are only archiving your pictures then CD-Rs are much cheaper and the write speeds are usually faster too.

CD-Rs are never meant to last forever. Actually, no memory format will last forever. Your hard disk will eventually fail, usually after 6 or more years. Your USB flash disk will last a few million writes. You CD will probably last you a few years, then it will deterorate. So keep backing up important files.

memorex has always worked well for me. i'm using tdk's recently and they are fine too.

stay far away from maxell, they make coasters, not cd's :p

molested_cow said:
CD-Rs are never meant to last forever.
Yes, I agree but they should last longer than a few months. The no-name brands I used lasted about 3 months before they starting deterorating. The good brand CDs are still going after 5 years. Of course, it's a good idea to keep track of them so that you can make a new copy before they die or just make a second back up of important files after a few years. If you find yourself using one CD a lot then you should make a second copy of it and used that instead.

With CD-R's like anything else.. you get what you pay for. The myth that CD-R's last a few years was debunked but you should still stick with name brand stuff.

The best CD-R on the market should last over 50 yrs or so but they will cost you. Mitsui CD-R's cost between $.60-$1.20 a piece. The best way to archive images would be to write 2 copies. Once on the Mitsui, once on a regular cd-r. Use the regular CD-R to read from and if it ever fails make another backup of the mitsui. Also don't use a marker or label on the disk as that will shorten the life span.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back