Charging fees from paypal- whose responsibility?

Kelly,
I started out with prices similar to yours thinking that I could get a bunch of clients in and make some decent $. I did start to build up a good client base, but was wondering why I wasn't able to make ends meet with my prices, and I just couldn't find enough clients to make the $ I needed to at those prices. It was a "Duh!" moment for me when I started to realize that I'm not Walmart or Target or Sears nor can I charge what they do and stay in business.
I now charge $35 for an 8x10, $20 for 5x7" and under, and $25 for a sheet of wallets. And, I feel that those prices will probably have to be raised as well.
You really need to sit down and figure out how much it costs you to answer emails, drive to meetings with clients, upload orders, answer messages, edit, shoot, upgrade equipment, repair equipment, pay for insurance, accountant, etc... basically ALL of the things that really go into making your business work. You'll soon find that even with a $35 8x10 you aren't making as much as it seems.
Nimitz is totally right when he says that "you are either currently able to produce professional quality images and should charge accordingly or you can not, in which case you should continue to practice & only charge when you are ready"
I really wish I had taken this advice when I was first starting out. It sucks to hear it, but it's true. In the meantime, while you are building up your skills, you can charge "Portfolio Building" rates which should be discounted off of the rates you eventually want to charge in exchange for the use of your PB client's signatures on a model release.
I promise, if you do it this way it'll save you a lot of heartache when the time comes to charge the "Big Girl" prices:)

$6 for a 4x6 is nothing and you are also undercutting all the professional photographers already in business who are charging more appropriate fees for their work. We all suffer when someone does not charge appropriatly for their work.

Isn't that how all business works?

What April said ...

Look, as I said, I'm not trying to get you upset but whether you choose to believe it or not when you don't charge appropriately for your work the general public - who do not understand how difficult it is to be a professional photographer - start to believe that top quality professional images should not cost that much. That's what I meant when I said you are hurting the rest of us.

If you've ever had a client take one of your prints and go to Walmart and make a copy and then complain that the image sucks - blaming your poor photograph, you'll start to understand this.

If you 'feel bad' about charging a lot for an image I guess I might have to question your motives about being a professional photographer? Maybe you don't need the money to live on and this is just an extended hobby for you, I don't know? But I can assure you that anyone who's sole income is derived from photography understands all too well about pricing so that they can earn a living.

Also, I never worry about anyone, pro or amateur, taking business from me because of pricing. I'm lucky in that no one does what I do for 200 miles so I could probably charge even more. But my pricing factors in both the typical rate for a professionally produced image and the quality & creativity I provide.

I'm really not aware of any business where high quality products & services that require creativity are given away at "Dollar Store" prices.

seller should pay.

Absolutely. I do a lot of work online and, yes, Paypal fees can take a pretty big chunk sometimes, but... Any credit card processing service charges a fee - when someone pays $2 for a cup of coffee, most credit processing services charge .30 for the transaction plus 3.5% or more; when you look at it that way, Paypal fees are pretty reasonable.

Isn't that how all business works?

Yes it is. Thats kinda my point.

You didn't upset me, really. This is not my sole income. It's a side hobby. I have *never* had a complete stranger for clientelle. I shoot for my mom's group mainly, some friends and family.

I dunno what else to say, really. I am charging what I feel comfortable charging right now. I increased my prices a bit after reading this thread, because yes the 4x6s and under were very underpriced because I figured no one ever orders 4x6s.

I think there IS a middle ground. I don't think that I am affecting ALL photographers by shooting for my friends at a reasonable cost. I understand that some pro's feel that is the case and I understand the logic (really, I do.), but I am doing what I feel comfortable with currently. I do get how hard it is to be a professional photog.. I am very respectful of the profession. I know there are a MANY costs to doing the job and I understand the analogy of going against the grain of professional pricing.

Though, I am looking into the possibility of what April suggested and increasing my prices while offering coupons in the meantime.

I agree. I have run my own business for 11 years and the CC fees are the seller’s responsibility. You think MC and VS are bad, you should see what Amex charges. I’m like you, trying to turn a hobby into a business, but you should listen to the pros. They are absolutely correct. Pricing your work correctly is very important and should be done from the start or you will spend years trying to correct your mistake. You also have to consider that as soon as you sell anything, you are considered a professional. You should be paid for your work and you will invest time and money in trying to establish you’re self and your business.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back