Chasing Bees

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Practice and luck go hand-in-hand to get good shots of fast moving critters. I'm out of practice and luck was laughing at me yesterday, but I'm posting these anyway as a motivator for me to get back on track.

These were shot using a D300 with 105mm f/2.8 lens and manual focusing.

I tried using a flash to begin with just to see if it would work.
SB800 in TTL, f/6.3, 1/250s, ISO200

i-dS9B2sr-XL.jpg

No flash, f/3.2, 1/8000s, ISO800

i-hfrrbgw-XL.jpg

Comments appreciated. Thanks for looking.​

Very tricky what you've done! I like #1 better. The blurred wings clearly shows a fast moving subject and the background and angle to the subjects are more appealing to me. My only down point about #1 would be the blown out back, but outside that, well done. Probably took you several hundreds of shots to get couple good one.

I'm not a fan of #1...I think TTL exposure control is maybe not the best way to approach bees up close...manually-selected, fractional power like 1/16 to 1/32 power will give you much briefer flash duration. With TTL control, it's pretty hard to predict how long the flash duration will be; in the case of the TTYL shot above, the flash duration seems quite slow, judging by the wing blur. I'd be tempted to go with a moderate ISO level (400,500,640) and a smaller f/stop, to darken the background, and then allowing the flash to illuminate only the closest part of the shot. I think the problem with TTL exposure control is that the bee's body is so,so small in relation to the whole scene, that the TTL system will over-expose the bee quite a lot, in an effort to get the backdrop into the proper exposure zone.

Coming back to this post later in the afternoon, I thought I might add a comment, Namely, that manually-selected flash f/stops can be quickly and easily correlated with the magnification ratio scale on many macro lenses, like the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX HSM Macro lens; as long as the flash is held in the same position, the proper f/stop at each magnification ratio can be easily figured out for those low-power, ultra-short duration flash squirts. Why would anybody wish to shoot this way? Well, first off, having the lens pre-focused for a certain magnification size allows you to simply lean over and move the camera to the proper focused distance...the camera is in manual focus, the lens is set to a certain f/stop, and the flash is set to a fractional power that corresponds to the right f/stop. Within the normal working distance you've selected, you should be able to keep the exposure within a half to three-fourths of an f/stop of dead-on. Focusing by moving the camera closer or farther from the subject is actually relatively easy in the good, bright light of spring and summer.

Thanks Derrel. As usual, some good tech info to chew on.

I decided to slap on the 300mm f/4, which I haven't pulled out for a while, and forgo the flash. These shots were mostly as an exercise in technique.

All shots taken at f/4, 1/8000s, ISO200​
i-kMnC2qf-XL.jpg

i-92dkCnr-XL.jpg

i-ghrLf2z-XL.jpg

Thanks again for looking.​

Most reactions

New Topics

Back