B&W Street Portraiture

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Most of my photography the last couple of years has been rural and landscape. When I first became interested in photography, back in the early 80s, I enjoyed people photography more. But after a break from shooting for art's sake for many years, I just felt more comfortable alone in the country where I live.

I'm trying to change that some, so for the last couple of weeks, I have concentrated on what I call "street portraiture." It's not quite street photography and not quite formal portraiture. These were shot in available light at local events. I worked hand-held, using my Nikon D810 and a Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD or a Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD. All processing has been done in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CC (2015), including the use of the Nik Collection.

Larry was captured at the local Memorial Day ceremony at 200mm, f/3.2, 1/250s, ISO 100.
memorial-day1605-4-1080x.jpg

Barbara, a local equestrian, was captured at her ranch. I would have loved to get her eyes open, but that's a rarity because she seems to always be laughing like this. Shot at 58mm, f/7.1, 1/2000s, ISO 800.
barbara-schoepp1605-05-1080x.jpg

Dee was just leaving the big car show here in Quincy, CA, in his '31 Ford and stopped to talk with me while I was cruising the grounds on my Segway. This was at 70mm, f/3.5, 1/160s, ISO 100.
pcp-car-show1606-08-1sm.jpg

Because I am always trying to do better, I appreciate your C&C.

Thanks,

Jim

Nice shots. I especially like the last one which has an interesting composition which doesn't distract from the subject and I love the expression and detail.

The first one feels like I would like more context. As I can't really see his face/expression I'd want something else in the shot to tell the story. Which is also the beauty of street portraits.

Second one is a matter of taste. The post processing doesn't work for me. And the shadows on the face could possibly be filled a bit more event from a different angle. It does look like you've managed to capture her personality which would go above technical nitpicking of course.

Thanks Tim. I understand what you mean about Larry's photo. He was praying. Unfortunately, my penchant for close-cropping failed to provide the context you refer to. I'll try to keep that in mind.

Yeah, Barbara's photo should have been binned. The only thing I did get is the personality, as you say. I thought I also captured the heat of the day and everything kind of took on that yellowish cast in my mind. A bit too heavy on that though, I guess.

Dee is my favorite of the lot too. I thought the door frame of his car worked perfectly here. I actually spent a lot of time prettying him up - removing a lot of varicose veins and some darker age spots. But at the same time, I wanted to show the character of his face - the lines, the ruggedness and the way he has gracefully moved into the state of octogenarian. I find it funny that the clarity slider is used to add rugged handsomeness to a man and glowing beauty to a woman by pushing it to plus or minus, respectively.

Thanks for your critique.

Pretty neat - The last one for sure!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back