Cheap options for quality long focus lenses

Magnatolia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for recommendations for cheaper ways to get a large quality focal length lens, say around 1000mm or more.

I have a Nikon D70.

I've seen two suggestions. 1 is to use a Nikon Fieldscope (800mm), which is recommended at $2289 with ED glass, with a Nikon Digital SLR Attachment. This equates to 1000mm approx. Eyepieces are attached to the fieldscope to change the zoom factor. You can go with fixed length of 20x, 40x, 60x or a zoom with 20x-45x. Has anyone used this, and what did they think? Is the quality as good as a camera lens of the same focal length. Apparently you can only focus in manual which may be a problem for me. Would an SB-800 flash reach the same length?

The second suggestion was to attach a long focal length lens then, using a reversing ring, attach a shorter focal length lens? Does anyone have any more specific information on this idea? If I was to use a 70-300mm lens and attach a 18-70mm with the reverse ring, what this actually equate to?

Thanks in advance
Jason

I have done somthing like it with a point and shot and just holding the camera at the eyepiece. well I did not but one of my customers came in and we tryed it out. he was loking for a camera and did not want to spend a ton of $$$. I must say it was better then I thought it would be but I would not print or post one of the shots. it was more of a snap shot look to it.

Cheaper way? Go eBay. You do have a Nikon which is a plus for several reasons. #1 - It is the most popular slr ever which means more used equipment on the market for a fraction of what new cost. #2 - Nikon maintains backwards compatibility which means you can use lenses on your "F" mount from as far back as 1977 on your D70.
Your SB-800 flash is only good for a focal length of around 105mm so you will have to rethink that one. ......Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back