Cheap Tripod for a EOS 100D

lWellinhouse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
that's actually a pretty damn good idea for emergencies.

Also to the OP: Tripods are one of those things you shouldn't skimp out on, if that thing gives then all the king's men and all the king's horses won't be able to put humpty dumpty back together. Had my cheapo tripod fail on me when i was on a shoot in the summer. People here warned me not to get it.

I'm not sure about that
look at a Dolica ball head - under $100

I get "cheap" all the time. But looking for a cheap tripod is a mistake, in many cases it's worse then having no tripod. If you don't have a tripod, then you up the ISO. Or lean against the doorway. Or set your camera on a rock. But if you have a cheap tripod that has the illusion of stability, than you shoot with confidence...and curse when your shots turn out blurry (or at least not sharp). None of the tripods you've listed are particularly good tripods--they look very unstable. They look like they're okay for either panning with a cheap video camera OR for shooting a selfie or self-portrait with a point and shoot on a timer.

Second point: no tripod is good at everything. Every tripod is a compromise...even the ones that cost $1,000. If it's good for carry-on luggage than it likely doesn't extend to 6 feet (which means many people have to scrunch over). Or it has 4-5 leg segments and you have to extend the center column (which reduces stability). If it's great for hiking (lightweight), it may not be heavy enough for a stiff wind. You need to be clear about what you want your tripod for...and then shop accordingly.

In the meantime, if you can't afford to spend $200 or more on a tripod and good head, then here are some alternatives that can work for some alternatives:
--gorillapod
--bungee cord
--camera clamp (very good for car handles or car windows or chairs)
--wireless release (so you can set your camera on something stable and then expose without touching the camera).

Save up until you can buy one that is rated to support at least double (quadruple is better) the weight of your camera and heaviest lens. There is an enormous difference between a Wal-Mart tripod and a quality set of legs! Nice tripods don't necessarily need to be expensive. I was able to purchase a $500 setup for less than $200 around Christmas. Adorama doesn't carry that particular model anymore but manufacturers are always clearing out older models in order to sell the new models. I would also consider used, but NOT PLASTIC!!

Edit: Good point about the remote shutter release. They are very useful! Especially if you end up with a wobbly tripod. ;)

need to be clear about what you want your tripod for...and then shop accordingly.

In the meantime, if you can't afford to spend $200 or more on a tripod and good head, then here are some alternatives that can work for some alternatives:
--gorillapod
--bungee cord
--wireless release (so you can set your camera on something stable and then expose without touching the camera).

I think I would spend $100 on a Dolica tripod than getting a bungee cord or clamp !

need to be clear about what you want your tripod for...and then shop accordingly.

--gorillapod
--bungee cord

I think I would spend $100 on a Dolica tripod than getting a bungee cord or clamp !

First, most of the sub-$100 Dolicas I've seen have 4 leg segments and tend to have wobble at full extension.

Second, you're missing the point. My argument is that the OP should wait until they have enough money to get a tripod that does what they want it to do...rather than have a budget and buy a tripod that fits that budget. And in the meantime, there are a bunch of options (I can get a bungee cord for $2) that are short-term fixes while the OP saves up the money.

...: no tripod is good at everything. Every tripod is a compromise...even the ones that cost $1,000. If it's good for carry-on luggage than it likely doesn't extend to 6 feet (which means many people have to scrunch over). Or it has 4-5 leg segments and you have to extend the center column (which reduces stability). If it's great for hiking (lightweight), it may not be heavy enough for a stiff wind. You need to be clear about what you want your tripod for...and then shop accordingly....
Joe is right. Find the right compromise for your situation and budget.

My cheap tripod recently gave up after 8 years (not bad!) and I had immediate need for a lightweight travel tripod and I picked up a slik sprint pro II tripod. Only $70 USD on Amazon. Folds to less than 19" and weighs less than 2 pounds. This tripod incorporates some very significant compromises but fits a very specific need for now.
Amazon.com : Slik Sprint Pro II Tripod in Gun Metal With Quick Release Ball Head & Case : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back