Children In Haiti

I am all for the tight cropping but some of them were a little too tight. You completely cut out one kids mouth. Other than that I like what you've got here.

Last edited:
Added some photo's and a reflection about one of the children.

Very emotional. I think sometimes that in the west we aren't so much raising our children as herding the next generation of hedonists. This life we live knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing is shown up for the shallow fix it is when compared to the story behind these photos.

Yes, to them its not even a bad thing to have a child slave. Most think they are helping them. But then grow up with no social skills, and education.

Thats for the responce. I think we often forget what we really have.

Great photographs. I especially love the one of the kid doing the handstand in the river. They certainly do seem happy

And why would that be, that "they are much happier than most children in the states" ?

Because their expectations are lower. They don't need a computer and an X-Box and a cell phone and a wide-screen HD TV and all the other junk kids these days cannot do without. They don't need designer clothes or shoes or anything, their sibling's hand-me-downs are just fine. In other words they don't know what they are missing so they are happy with what they have.

Excellent series of shots.

Very very nice shots.

Kids are kids no matter where they live. My son with his friends (when unplugged) I'm sure are just a happy and crazy as them in Haiti. And if you plugged in the Haitian kids...badda bing.

Very very nice shots.

Kids are kids no matter where they live. My son with his friends (when unplugged) I'm sure are just a happy and crazy as them in Haiti. And if you plugged in the Haitian kids...badda bing.

I'm pretty sure they would go nuts. They already think its magic.

Thanks for the posts - It never ceases to amaze me how children in particular can look so happy and beautiful in such sitauation of what we can consider to be poor living condition

To them is simply very normal. The richer families are the ones who can afford to pay for school for there children. Which is crazy here since that's all just covered by taxes anyways. Even the poorest of students here can get a good education from simply getting student loans, grants, and working hard. They do rely on the UN and america a little too much. There culture is ingrained with this idea that america will just give it to them. Even out in the countryside about 4-5 hours away from Port-au-prince where the earthquake didn't damage anything other then the water table. When I was there last summer they had never even see a white person up close but still knew to ask for money.

Most reactions

Back