Nostalgic portraits

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Portraits from recent sessions with friends' grands. The theme of the boy was timeless type photos. I coordinated with his mom on the clothing. With both children I wanted to capture childhood, children at play. And just for fun I brought my light wand. It was getting dark and he had fun playing with the light. I did darken in post. I have photographed the boy several times and he takes direction great. He has ideas too that I incorporate. I try to have fun games for children when getting portraits. I'll say in the start we will take stand/sit smile Mom photos and we will do something fun at the end.

Child_SMw_001.jpg

Child_SMw_002.jpg

Child_SMw_003.jpg

Child_SMw_004.jpg

Child_SMw_005.jpg

Child_SMw_006.jpg

Child_SMw_007.jpg

Child_SMw_008.jpg

Portraits from recent sessions with friends' grands. The theme of the boy was timeless type photos. I coordinated with his mom on the clothing. With both children I wanted to capture childhood, children at play. And just for fun I brought my light wand. It was getting dark and he had fun playing with the light. I did darken in post. I have photographed the boy several times and he takes direction great. He has ideas too that I incorporate. I try to have fun games for children when getting portraits. I'll say in the start we will take stand/sit smile Mom photos and we will do something fun at the end.

View attachment 269910

View attachment 269911

View attachment 269912

View attachment 269913

View attachment 269914

View attachment 269915

View attachment 269916

View attachment 269917
Nice series but I'm uncertain how "nostalgic" figures in these shots? Can you expand on what you think that means?

These are terrific. I get more of an "innocence of childhood" vibe from these, especially #s 4, 6 and 8. I think that translates nicely into that "timeless" theme.

Absolutely wonderful! I bet the clients are very happy with these!

If I wanted to see anything different, I'd play with a square crop on #2, placing the boy on the right side of the frame with some of the bush still behind him and keeping the tree on the left. My two cents. :)

Great set, Cheryl!

Nice set, No.1 looks almost like a film photo, in fact when I opened the link and just saw the title and the first photo before reading I assumed it was an old picture.

Nice series but I'm uncertain how "nostalgic" figures in these shots? Can you expand on what you think that means?
Thanks! Nostalgic based on old books, camera and toys. I was going for a sense of old days before electronics.

These are terrific. I get more of an "innocence of childhood" vibe from these, especially #s 4, 6 and 8. I think that translates nicely into that "timeless" theme.

Absolutely wonderful! I bet the clients are very happy with these!

If I wanted to see anything different, I'd play with a square crop on #2, placing the boy on the right side of the frame with some of the bush still behind him and keeping the tree on the left. My two cents. :)

Great set, Cheryl!
Innocence of childhood is a great description! My friends the grandparents were happy as well as the Moms. The girl's Mom is a photographer and she has taken portraits in the past. Her photography has been on hold with work and a little one with special needs. I was concerned about her reaction, but she was very happy.

Here is the square crop. Thanks for the suggestion!

Child_SMw_Crop_002.jpg

Nice set, No.1 looks almost like a film photo, in fact when I opened the link and just saw the title and the first photo before reading I assumed it was an old picture.
Thanks! He is holding an old film camera. I got a retrofitted battery for it and film. I haven't tried it out yet.

A very good set....
Thank you Jeff!

Innocence of childhood is a great description! My friends the grandparents were happy as well as the Moms. The girl's Mom is a photographer and she has taken portraits in the past. Her photography has been on hold with work and a little one with special needs. I was concerned about her reaction, but she was very happy.

Here is the square crop. Thanks for the suggestion!

View attachment 269939
Omg, that looks great! Thanks for giving this crop a try. The photo needed nothing more. ;)

Not surprised to hear about happy clients - this is a very strong set.

Great shots!

I think they could use a bit of an increase in color temperature though. The skin tones seem a little too purple.

Great shots!

I think they could use a bit of an increase in color temperature though. The skin tones seem a little too purple.
thanks for the feedback Dan! I did an edit of #4 brushing in a mask on parts of the face using Nik's Remove Color Cast. Warmed up globally. I tried using the Hue & Saturation to adjust the blue/purple and couldn't get it quite right is why I went with the Nik filter

100823_124 copySMw.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back