Chili con carne with props

I think that same shot, with a larger light source (and slightly more DOF), would be pretty spot on.

Thanks!

My softbox is 20x20" which I would have thought was big enough for food but maybe I'm not using it correctly.

did you watch that video and read through that link I posted?

Looks awesome.

Perhaps the bowl being fuller and getting in a bit tighter with the garlic together and oof....

The white mat keeps reminding me of a cutting board it is so angular.

Your doing great man keep it up!!!! If you use a large diffuser 48" octo or huge umbrella ir a sheet as was suggested, and loose the tomato highlights, you will simply beed another light, or two. Use a rim light could help too.

It is looking good. Chile con carne can certainly be a food that can be difficult.

I might like to see the focus start at the start of the food in the bowl. If you focused right in the middle of the bowel then might try just a bit forward as there is usually less DOF in front of the focus point and more behind the focus point.

Will try it next time.

Thanks

Looks awesome.

Perhaps the bowl being fuller and getting in a bit tighter with the garlic together and oof....

The white mat keeps reminding me of a cutting board it is so angular.

Your doing great man keep it up!!!! If you use a large diffuser 48" octo or huge umbrella ir a sheet as was suggested, and loose the tomato highlights, you will simply beed another light, or two. Use a rim light could help too.

It is a cutting board ;-)

I think that same shot, with a larger light source (and slightly more DOF), would be pretty spot on.

Thanks!

My softbox is 20x20" which I would have thought was big enough for food but maybe I'm not using it correctly.

did you watch that video and read through that link I posted?

Yes unless I missed it. I sometimes find the threads difficult to follow on this forum.

If you still have the link please repost it.

Michael

its in your "ugh, how do I get rid of these ugly white spots on my food" thread.

I've noticed that cheap soft box diffusers have one diffuser. Betters ones have two, one inside and the one that you see. Essentially diffusing the light even more for a softer look.

One of my small softboxes was like that. I generally read about it here ==> Softbox with dual diffusers?

So putting, say a shower curtain in front of yours may help get rid of the bright spots.

Last edited:
I have to say, I like the direction you are going. Some rifinement as mentioned above could help, but the overall presentation is not as static. This draws a person to the food more than previous photos.

its in your "ugh, how do I get rid of these ugly white spots on my food" thread.

You had two links and I only saw the one Fstoppers.

Really helpful vid.

Shower curtains are fairly heavy duty plastic. I could buy a shower curtain, use a white sheet, or buy tracing paper, what do you think?

I've noticed that cheap soft box diffusers have one diffuser. Betters ones have two, one inside and the one that you see. Essentially diffusing the light even more for a softer look.

One of my small softboxes was like that. I generally read about it here ==> Softbox with dual diffusers?

So putting, say a shower curtain in front of yours may help get rid of the bright spots.

Will check the link and thanks for the info.

Michael

Won't speak to the photo, but I'll tell you one dam thing, you better never serve that insipid, bean laden, anemic bowl of gruel and call it chili in the state of Texas! ...and we DON'T put weeds in or on it either!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back