Chilling

glaston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took a look over at the alternative techniques forum, because the name attracted me.
After reading a little it became apparent that everyone over there has a very blatant disrespect for those who shoot digital.
I called them on it, and the level of disrespect that ensued was unfounded.

What's worse is their ideas of digital are based on assumptions and half baked theories that are only true in certain cases.

Like messing with an image in PS for a few minutes by running filters. That basically describes what they think the digital workflow entails.

And they won't hear anything that suggests otherwise.

One lady told me to get out and accused me of wearing blinders.

It is utter insanity!
I can see why they're isolated!
It's like the mental ward of this forum over there.

I'm just taken back by it, and appalled at the same time.

It's a subset of the film forum for a reason. Lots of what goes over there is things like IR film, emulsion lifts, cross processing, etc. I can see why a digital user can be somewhat alienated there.

those film loyalists can be that way sometimes... digital is here to stay though and they cant deny that fact. BUT everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i'm sure in person these people wouldnt be so quick to say mean things to you...

this link might help explain it a bit better... - http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19 (a bit NSFW -language-)

Yeah, no big deal.

A guy showed some cross process shots that I really liked. Looks sort of similar to the urban acid of digital.
Alot of the other images there are very appealing also. Even some of the lifts.

But for some reason, they continually take little jabs at digital and those who use it. It seems to be something that they cherish. It's important to them to feel superior.
They have an eerie contempt for it over there. And I hate that!
Just the thought of it pisses me off.

its just like blu ray vs. hd dvd, or pc vs. mac, or canon/nikon vs. everyone...... everybody has their own opinions and thinks that whatever THEY"RE doing is the right choice for everyone...

It takes me back to my alt news group days. The war against DTP (desktop publishing) which raged on for years and years.

All those who spent years of training and gaining of experience along the line of graphic design were very seldom happy or friendly when it came to Joe shmoe trying to enter the biz via his desktop PC in the den of home.

They used to come right out and say that any design by those people that were working to enter the biz via "shortcuts" was not worth crap. Truly they did.

So what does that say about these artists? Belittling fellow artists because they are not fitting into their perception of what the craft should be. Hmmm, just my opinion but when it comes to true art in the sense of the word the more you try and constrict it the less it becomes art and the more it becomes well dull and predictable. And that is despite whether every one can do it or not. ;)

I am not saying that there should never be guidelines. If you have a water color painting contest and someone enters an airbrushed creation of course it is not going to fly. It's when those who paint in water colors dis those who airbrush outside of the contest as not being a valid art form.... That is when they show their stupidity.

So maybe the alternative techniques forum name doesn't fit? maybe it should be called 'Alternative Film Techniques' or 'Techniques Alternative to Digital'?

Regardless you can either choose to become uptight over their close mindedness or you can choose to be mildly amused. I will say one thing, regardless of their attitudes there will be things to treasure and learn from them. You will be able to learn a whole lot more from them if you position your self on the side of mildly amused. ;)

Good Luck!

Good points.

I have to admit that some of them are good at what they do.
I've given them credit and praise for their images because I don't practice that way of thinking.
I can appreciate art, and good work despite the medium.

For some reason though, they will not concede ANYTHING.

They are perpetually annoyed that this board is pre-dominantly digital.
They look at users of digital as having blinders on, and having a "silicon chip on their shoulder".
One guy was going on and on about how he has photoshop but refuses to install and learn it because he sees a need to resist digital in all it's forms.
They admit that they use digital to the extent that they scan images to show here on the forum.
But many of them do even that reluctantly, and would not do that if there was an alternative.

It's strange I know, but their ideas regarding all this are almost like that of a fundamentalist religious zealot.
And refuse to even consider for a moment that there's anything wrong with the way they look at it.

I called them on it...

Why didn't you tell them that you were the 'thought police' and they aren't allowed to have their own opinion without checking with you first.

Golly, everyone knows that challenges to diverse ideas must be dealt with swiftly.

I thank you for alerting me to that forum...think I'll be at home there.

Why didn't you tell them that you were the 'thought police' and they aren't allowed to have their own opinion without checking with you first.
Because that isn't the case. Don't tell me you subscribe to that distortion of logic too!?
I have no problem with them using film, if you need to re-read everything to follow, do so now before it gets thick.
I have a problem with them looking down on people who don't use film, and acting like people who use digital have blinders on.
It's not enough for them to use film, they also have to think that it's the ONLY way to go, and that they are the only ones enlightened to this, and anyone who doesn't see it that way has blinders on.

Maybe you need to go there and read, because you're responding to something half way in, and it's obvious you don't understand the entire situation here.
You're having the same tired old emotional reaction....*sigh*

Once you have an idea of the reality of this situation, feel free to comment.

I bet he would!
He's the guy who started the 'BS thread' over there.

Chances are that it's not a legit copy, because with the $$$ that a legit copy costs, you'd learn it and use it if only because of the cost.

I bet he would!
He's the guy who started the 'BS thread' over there.

That's MysteryScribe. Charlie works in older techniques and is more interested in the reconstruction of old cameras than in photography per se, although he was a prolific contributor here. I think he finally just got disgusted over the increasingly adolescent tone of this Forum and left - an increasingly attractive option.

well, I think you got blown off because you said everyone was afraid of technology as well as a bunch of other things, which are just assumptions that you were making. Just because someone wants to take pictures with film doesnt make them old or fearful of technology, nor does it mean they are trying to be "cool" using something that goes against the mainstream.

Seemed like casual conversation until you jumped in and called everyone computer stupid.

The same things will probably be said of you in 20 years, when all the kids are using Photobrain...and creating images with their thoughts. Which, of course, won't be as creative as using good old Photoshop like you do. :roll:

no... i dont think photobrain will ever take off as much as people think it will.. the thoughts always come out fuzzy and clouded... ;-)

Most reactions

Back