Chilling

I think that the term 'denounce' is the most trenchant thing you've said. It seems you see the film people as 'doing wrong' by having their attitudes and yourself as 'doing right' by denouncing them.

Your behavior seems calculated, not to introduce new thinking, but to set yourself as the fearless crusader who speaks where no one else dares. It is your problem.

It's a message board, its entire purpose is for people to share information, including opinions.

I concur wholeheartedly.

However......poking a hornets nest with a stick, will have quite predicteable results. Just think about how much knowledge you have gained about hornets nests.

A parable.

The artists grew weary, and the newcomers overtook them, flooding the world with mediocre works, obscuring the value of the true art, and keeping their knowledge and wisdom from those who, like the first student, were willing to learn.

Draw your own morals.

First off I found your parable hilarious and very true to the point. Not hilarious in the sense that I thought it was false but rather right on (and at the same time entertaining to read as well)

The only part I questioned is really how much knowledge do those who unleash mediocre works really have to withhold in the first place. Especially anything other then basic knowledge which could always be gained by those of us willing to share our knowledge in order to help offset mediocrity? I have a feeling that, and to me digital or film makes no difference, there are always those easily enough found whom will lend a helping hand to those with truly open ears.

Again... very nice parable. I think it help put things into perspective rather nicely.

I'll fix my phrasing there. It's ambiguous, and one of the meanings is certainly not what I intended. Thanks for calling my attention to it.

And thanks for the kind words. :)

ha ha ha, you're really good, James. :thumbup: I like it.

And listen to you Teri, Miss High and Mighty herself!?
You are the biggest practitioner of what it is that I had a problem with in the first place!
Did you wait for anyone to ask for your opinion before you chimed in with the "silicon chip on your shoulder" comments?
You did that before I did ANYTHING but ask what it is about film people liked so much.
Your comments were what opened the door for my comments!

So since we're all being so adult here assigning and absolving responsibility and what not, how about it??
This is the reason I should have locked Charlie's thread in the beginning. I wanted to and, according to TPF guidelines, I should have - but I didn't and this is the end result. I knew better, so I take full responsibility for this getting so out of hand. Apologies to all who have been offended by various posts/hijacked threads.

So sorry things didn't work out for you at TPF, glaston. Now you get to go troll in another forum.

This is the reason I should have locked Charlie's thread in the beginning. I wanted to and, according to TPF guidelines, I should have - but I didn't and this is the end result. I knew better, so I take full responsibility for this getting so out of hand. Apologies to all who have been offended by various posts/hijacked threads.

Don't blame yourself, Terri! :hug:: It was going along fine until, well..

"Hello. I'd like to have an argument, please" (Monty Python)
No, you wouldn't. :mrgreen:

Thanks, all. :) I really appreciate it. Next time come kick me if I sit around and let something go on too long!!!

Wasn't this the anger management class?

LOL

Glaston-

When in Rome ...
You walked into the equivalent of a madrassa and started shouting New Testament passages … how could you not expect to be attacked?

I read that thread and I participated long before you jumped in and stirred things up. I am a digital only guy but I started in photography decades ago before home computers, digit was a finger and auto was a car not settings on a camera. I mentioned how and why I enjoyed digital over film and was not greeted with the slings and arrows tossed at you. Maybe it was your delivery ...

Gary

Hangin' out with Glaston is kinda' like standing in a field during a storm, with a lightening rod in your upraised hand.

Potentially exciting results.

He does add interest to rather mundane topics.

I like his refreshing views, and when I disagree with him, he doesn't actually call me a "Butthead" (yet).

Hm. By bringing your problem with the film board to this thread seems to be an attempt at starting an "us vs them" mentality. Personally, if I was happily going about my business in a potato chip thread and someone came in expounding the joyous benefits of pretzels, that would get my hackles up in a hurry, especially if there was already a pretzel board for them to post in. We can all learn from each other if we approach each other with respect and ask the right questions. I know any film lover would jump at the chance to explain their love of film. But when challenged about something they love, of course they're going to bite back. Never poke a happy bear with a stick...you won't like the result. :)

This is the reason I should have locked Charlie's thread in the beginning.

I read through Charlie's thread after finding out about it in this one. I actually rather enjoyed it, and did not notice any hostility or animosity from the film crowd towards the digital crowd. It was a very thought provoking discussion, and everybody was playing nicely until a certain someone (EVERYBODY knows who I'm talking about :wink:) joined in. So Terri, no worries! I think you're decision was fine!

P.S. James, you're parable was FABULOUS!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back