Choices, choices...

laynea24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently rented the Tamron 60mm f/2 macro lens and I love it! Autofocus seems a little slow, but I haven't noticed any other set backs. This may be normal for how close I am when the slow autofocus occurs. I've just been using manual focus for really close shots. Anyway, I've always told myself that I will only buy Canon lenses and aim for top quality. The Canon 60mm is a f/2.8 and is actually cheaper than the Tamron listed above. So my question is, is there a reason I should not buy the Tamron? I like having that extra stop for indoor and low light conditions. And as far as I can tell, it's really sharp! I'm just nervous about purchasing third party lenses.

Why do you assume (incorrectly) that only a lens that says Canon on it can be a good lens? Sigma's two most recent fast primes (50 and 85 1.4) are stellar lenses. Ever seen any pics taken with a Zeiss? Or a Voigtlander? Are you aware Canon has put out some L series glass that really under performed? And still cost a s**t load of money? Instead of assuming only the company whose name appears on your camera body can make a lens worthy of using with said body, ask yourself this; are you happy with the way the Tammy performed? Do you like the look and feel of the shots you got with it? Are you happy with the IQ? There are a lot of exceptional lenses out there that don't say Canon (or Nikon/Nikkor) on them. To disregard them because of this, "I've always told myself that I will only buy Canon lenses and aim for top quality", is doing yourself and your hobby a disservice. If you're happy with the results you got from the Tammy, for chrissake, buy it. Tamron, like Sigma, makes some very nice glass. And slow AF is common for a macro.

subscuck said:
>SNIP> Are you aware Canon has put out some L series glass that really under performed? And still cost a s**t load of money? >SNIP

WhaaaaaaT? Under-performing Canon L-glass? Say it ain't so, bro!

Anyway, all kidding aside....yeah..TAMRON has made some danged good macro lenses over the years. And at the prices they are charging, Tamron can afford to design the lenses for very high performance. The final retail price of a lens in large part, determines how many,and how severe, the compromises a particular lens will have...and in TODAY's market, Tamron and Sigma, and Tokina, are all making some NICE macro lenses!

I guess I wasn't clear in my question. I was wanting to know if there was anything I should be aware of when buying third party lenses. Like in a few years when I upgrade camera bodies, will it still be compatible? I didn't know if slow af was normal with macro or not since this is my first experience with one. I wasn't trying to sound like a snob or anything. I'm just inexperienced with buying lenses so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Most reactions

Back