Choosing between two cameras + looking for Minolta part

tduebber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey TPF. I'm a total film photography beginner. Looking for some advice.

I was lucky enough to recieve two functional(ish) SLRs from a relative - a Nikon Nikkormat EL and a Minolta Maxxum 7000. I'm not sure which one I should focus on, so any opinions are welcome.

Also, the battery housing on the Minolta needs to be replaced (part code BH-70T). Any ideas on where I could find one?

Thanks in advance

Dead donor cameras (rather than now-empty parts bins)are your best bets for bits for cameras that old like the Minolta. Had a Nikkormat EL and liked it before an unfixable jumpy meter needle put it in the trash. Frankly, if both have "issues" you might be ahead consigning them to doorstop/paperweight duty and looking for something newer.

The EL has an unusual battery location that I trust you'll sort out. I got mine cheap since the camera store staff couldn't find it...

Don’t know about the Nikon but I love my 7000, have 2 of them. Battery compartments can be found on eBay and the like. There are I think 3 different kinds. 1 for AAA and 1 for AA batteries. I have those and they interchange with the 5000. I’m not 100% sure but I think they made one that takes the 2cr5 battery. Lenses are plentiful and cheap. I have taken some great pictures with mine. Good luck.

I've acquired several film cameras over the past few years and unfortunately some I refer to as "museum pieces" as they don't work. I'll place them in a display cabinet.

Hey TPF. I'm a total film photography beginner. Looking for some advice.
I was lucky enough to receive two functional(ish) SLRs from a relative - a Nikon Nikkormat EL and a Minolta Maxxum 7000. I'm not sure which one I should focus on, so any opinions are welcome.
Also, the battery housing on the Minolta needs to be replaced (part code BH-70T). Any ideas on where I could find one? Thanks in advance
I would focus on the one with the most solid feel of quality, and which showed less signs of use or abuse. Hopefully they came with lenses.

Thanks for the advice. Update to the situation:

Nikkormat has significant dust on the viewfinder (out of easy cleaning reach.) Light seals are a WIP but proving difficult to replace cleanly.

Bought a parts body for cheap to get the battery holder, only to put it on and find that nothing happens :BangHead:
Power definently being delivered (screen displays as normal) but zero response from buttons.

At this point, i'm only $20 in, so I'm def considering just buying something. I'd appreciate advice (either convincing me to try to fix stuff or suggesting good used models on Ebay).

(edit) I have two good-condition Minolta A Mount lenses, so I'd prefer to buy something with that system.

Generally, the scene in late 2022 for "vintage"(i.e., used) 35mm cameras isn't rosy. A decade+ ago, good stuff was abundant and often "steal-me" priced in EXC+ condition. Not now. Too many "I-know-nothing-about-cameras" sellers on the big auction site, iffy local merch scrounged from estate/yard sales, resold DIY surgery victims, and just outright crooks selling junk. Add in the abysmal state of competent repair options in most places, you're better off buying from, say, KEH, than from any of the above. Film and processing aren't giveaway priced, so why torture yourself trying to save $$$ buying semi-functional junk? More than ever, caveat emptor, y'all.

I agree with cgw on sources, except I have had no problem with Japanese sellers on ebay. They often give detailed camera descriptions that, so far, have proven accurate. The downside is the high postage rates. I don't look at American sellers at all for the reasons cgw mentioned. I also agree with KEH as a reputable source. I've dealt with them for years and their prices are reasonable and come with moneyback guarantees. Also, they are famous for under rating the item quality, i.e. GOOD is typically EXEC. A downside is they don't show actual photos of the item; just stock pics. I recently bought a Pentax LX from them they rated as EXEC and when I received it, it looked(and acted) brand new. The price was what I was seeing on ebay, but their guarantees made it a better buy, A great place to buy lenses also.

Japanese dealers are dependent on international sales, so fair dealing is crucial to their businesses. They pack securely and never scrimp on insurance or make sketchy shipping arrangements. I never got shafted by a Canadian or American eBay seller but frankly stopped buying from other than known to me sellers a decade ago. Friends haven't been so lucky and most now only purchase locally.

Try KEH or Pittsburgh Camera Exchange, or Adorama or B&H, for parts and/or parts cameras.

Maybe keep both, I think the Nikkomat takes any Nikon lenses. You might want to see how you like either one. The Nikon lenses might be more costly but might be worth it if you get really into film photography. I'm not that familiar with Minolta but they made some good cameras too.

Film and developing are more costly than they used to be, but it's like any hobby and budgeting for it.

Most reactions

Back