- Joined
- May 1, 2008
- Messages
- 25,507
- Reaction score
- 5,112
- Location
- UK - England
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
- Moderator 🛠️
- #1
So my poor neglected tripod needs some attention, its sat without use for quite some time, mostly as I can't ever come to like the pistol grip head that I have and because the other head I use a geared head and thus not only heavy, but really not much use for action based photography (or anything that moves more than snails pace)
So I've been looking around for something that can take a good weight (at least up to 70-200mm f2.8 + 2*TC and 7D) whilst being stable, light and well built. A ballhead ideally since that offers a good versatile and fast movable head that can easily be used to track moving subjects and change position with ease.
I did look at the gimbal style heads and whilst I know I will own one in time (to go with much heavier lenses) its something that isn't much use for my current gear, esp as only half of the lenses I have use tripod collars.
So thus far I'm looking at the Acratech GP Ballhead
Acratech GP Ballhead :: Ballheads :: Acratech
Small, light, with a panning plate and ball head design as well as its gimbal style recess in the ball socket for heavier lenses. However I'd be interested in two things
1) Are there any other heads that I should consider taking a look at instead of the Acratech head.
2) Which are the best plates to go for since it appears to fit several makes such as Arca Swiss and Kirk (far as I can tell Arca is the brand leading top range top price and Kirk the budget line ones).
So I've been looking around for something that can take a good weight (at least up to 70-200mm f2.8 + 2*TC and 7D) whilst being stable, light and well built. A ballhead ideally since that offers a good versatile and fast movable head that can easily be used to track moving subjects and change position with ease.
I did look at the gimbal style heads and whilst I know I will own one in time (to go with much heavier lenses) its something that isn't much use for my current gear, esp as only half of the lenses I have use tripod collars.
So thus far I'm looking at the Acratech GP Ballhead
Acratech GP Ballhead :: Ballheads :: Acratech
Small, light, with a panning plate and ball head design as well as its gimbal style recess in the ball socket for heavier lenses. However I'd be interested in two things
1) Are there any other heads that I should consider taking a look at instead of the Acratech head.
2) Which are the best plates to go for since it appears to fit several makes such as Arca Swiss and Kirk (far as I can tell Arca is the brand leading top range top price and Kirk the budget line ones).