Christmas on the strike line - CC very much appreciated

ypperin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well at -20 Celcius (-4 F) this was one of th coldest days on the line for these workers last week.

DSC00575.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

Anyone? It's lonely being the only one with no comments :)

The pictures are very good and capture the mood very well, but I think unions are the worst thing to ever happen to America.. They're killing the Big 3 right now with idiots driving rivet guns on the assembly line being paid $30 per hour.. Unions protect the lazy and the ignorant.. If you're skilled and motivated, your work will keep you employed and in demand.

Thanks for your comments..... though I appreciate your opinion on unions, I personally believe that it depends on the situation. Where this strike is concerned, placed in Canada, it has nothing to do with protecting the lazy, quite the opposite. These people I know work very hard, have been working without a contract and have been without a contract since 2004, and that's not because they are demanding more money..... quite the contrary. The corporate owner is wanting to take the name and change it, thereby forcing these people under a new contract where the top that anyone can make is 11.00 per hour.

All these workers are asking for is for their contract (whichever one they sign under the name they are presently under) be protected if/when the corporate owner decides to change it.

The contracts that have come up have offered up to 0.50 cents per hour raise over 3 years, and the union was prepared to accept if it offered protection for that contract should the name be changed.... the corporate owner said no......

And these people don't make 30.00 per hour, in fact, the highest paid employee makes 20.00 per hour and only reached that after putting in three decades of service. That is less than any other grocery store in the area.

Though I know there are situations where I don't agree in strikes (postal workers striking because 7 days of sick leave per year wasn't enough for example) these people, I believe, have a right to protect their contract and be compensated for the time they have put in.

Honestly, when you can make more at the local fast food joint just seems so very wrong.

Any way I could improve any of these shots?

all of them are tilted to the left,

on 2 I would probably changed where the shot was taken from - shoot from side walk directly behind them to get a side walk in perspective

the last one, I would probably changed the position of a photographer to left or right, these 2 ladies and shovel look too symmetrical to my liking.

Honestly, when you can make more at the local fast food joint just seems so very wrong.

Duly noted. Your pictures do capture the hardship of the situation reasonably well.

Thanks Samal :) I hadn't noticed that they were tilted at all. Great idea for #2, and though your suggestion for #3 makes perfect sense, I suppose I should have stated that the symetry was what I was going for in this shot. It would likely benefit from another angle as well, and will definitely try it on the next endeavor on the line.

Stsinner thank you for your input :) I'm glad I captured what I wanted to portray and was hoping that would be the result :D

I think my major concerns with shots like these are exposure (especially with the snow) and color temperature for the color shots, and it seems that I have managed to get better in that area :D

Thanks all !

Most reactions

Back