Chromatic Aberration - Help

GrantWoj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I brought this photo into Lightroom and cropped it, then I noticed a TON of Chromatic Aberration in it. I tried using the Remove option in lightroom, but it did little to nothing. Is this something I can handle in Post Production, or is this due to the kit lens? For reference it was the Canon EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III and a Rebel T6, it's the second lens that came with my kit.

Edit: Uploaded, apparently my compressions settings were all set to max and the file was huge.

Attachments

• Bird_ChromaticAb1 (1 of 1).jpg
    Bird_ChromaticAb1 (1 of 1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Wow! That's some NASTY CA, for sure. I'm not surprised that LR can't deal with it effectively. Check out YouTube; there are some excellent tutorials on the topic.

I use Elements 14 and the way I fix it is just desaturate the magenta or blue channel. There's still a little of that purple and green but it's usable for sharing on the web.

Attachments

• Bird_ChromaticAb1 (1 of 1).jpg
    Bird_ChromaticAb1 (1 of 1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 285
I had that lens when I still had my 450D. Did not use it that often, but iirc LR did a decent job in fixing the CA. Did you tick all the boxes in Lens correction area?

@tirediron i'll check it out today, this was the first time i've had such a major CA issue.

@JonFZ300 thanks, when I'll give that a shot and see what I can manage to get rid of.

@goooner as far as I am aware everything in Lens Correction was applied, I'll need to check when I get home.

I was looking at getting the Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS STM as a replacment for the 75-300mm III, does that seem like a reasonable switch/better quality? Should note that I'm trying to keep my glass cost down since I'm just starting out.

Here's my quick and dirty fix for CA in photoshop:

Duplicate the base layer
Apply a Gaussian blur with a large radius: I used ~43 pixels in this instance.
Set the blend mode of the layer to Color

This will blur the color of the entire image. Apply a layer mask. Fill it with black, and use a white brush to paint over the chromatic areas.

I had a result for you, but it's too large to post. I'm not at the computer right now, I'll see if I can upload it later.

Lightroom also has the de-fringe tool ( I think that's what it is called...) I have found very effective with CA
Use the eyedropper to select the color(s) of the CA and adjust the slider to adjust the de-fringe amount.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm going to mess around with the ideas given when I get a chance to sit at my computer again. Probably look at upgrading to the Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS STM in the near future too.

If you have canon you should be able to download a copy of canon’s raw software there is ca reduction in there I think it’s called DPP digital photo professional if you thinking of changing that lens have a look at canon EF 70 200 f4 l series
It’s non image stabilised but a good work lens plus the filter size in not huge

Last edited:
I tried using the Remove option in lightroom, but it did little to nothing.

Your profile doesn't indicate Edits OK, so I won't post an edited image on your thread. However I suspect it's a little to much for CA auto to correct. Instead try this - Go to the HSL panel>Hue & reduce the blue & purple channel to about -25. Now go to Lens correction Panel > click on manual. Now use the eye dropper to work the CA areas by clicking the eye dropper on them. The whole image could stand several other slider adjustments, including substantial noise reduction

It looks to me like axial colour aberration which some software can sort out pretty quickly. Also a few adjustments to reduce specific Chroma should clean up the other issues.

I brought this photo into Lightroom and cropped it, then I noticed a TON of Chromatic Aberration in it. I tried using the Remove option in lightroom, but it did little to nothing. Is this something I can handle in Post Production, or is this due to the kit lens? For reference it was the Canon EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III and a Rebel T6, it's the second lens that came with my kit.

Edit: Uploaded, apparently my compressions settings were all set to max and the file was huge.
I have that lens as my main lens and it's really bad with that. I am currently trying to upgrade.

Most reactions

Back