What's new

Church Doors

Ok, Rick. Here is your assignment. Go back and wait until the shadow is *exactly* down the middle.

Nice composition, simplicity. If you get the shadow to cooperate, I think it would be very, very nice.
 
I like the door Rick but the white appears to me a little washed out. The right corner is completely missing.
The composition is good.
 
Ok, Rick. Here is your assignment. Go back and wait until the shadow is *exactly* down the middle.

Nice composition, simplicity. If you get the shadow to cooperate, I think it would be very, very nice.
Thanks. I'm not sure if the sun will cooperate with that angle, but I see what you mean and I'll definitely have to look into it.
 
I like the door Rick but the white appears to me a little washed out. The right corner is completely missing.
The composition is good.
Thanks Rick. I went back and checked and that corner is in the mid 230's. The original was about 1/2 stop under and I had to bring it up to where it is so I didn't have a light gray church. You can definitely see the difference against the white page. I'm not sure for a full sun white wall.???
 
This is what I don't like about mid day sunlit objects. You get the high contrast that is a pain to photograph. I wish there was an instant popup 10 foot high light diffuser that would fit in your pocket so you could carry it around. Just one stop would be good. :)
 
Ok, Rick. Here is your assignment. Go back and wait until the shadow is *exactly* down the middle.

Nice composition, simplicity. If you get the shadow to cooperate, I think it would be very, very nice.
Listen to this incredible smart and handsome man!! That is a great idea. I can't wait to see it.
Nice find, Rick.
 
Ok, Rick. Here is your assignment. Go back and wait until the shadow is *exactly* down the middle.

Nice composition, simplicity. If you get the shadow to cooperate, I think it would be very, very nice.
Listen to this incredible smart and handsome man!! That is a great idea. I can't wait to see it.
Nice find, Rick.

Psst - Mishele! That bribe I paid you - you're supposed to remember it when judging the contests. You're going to give away the game if you say unsubstantiated things like that! So, mum's the word, right? ;)
 
I didn't say anything that people here didn't know already. :sexywink:
 
This edit is due to Rick50 and Pgriz. Rick50's texture comment regarding my last edit and Pgriz for his latest winter scene and his conversation regarding his snow texture.
After listening to this I decided to go back and pay closer attention to detail. This may be a ridiculous amount of time, but I just spent about 2 hours zoomed in at x300 to x400 trying to sqeeze every pixel a detail out of this simple shot in the shadows while still maintaining hightlight detail. This is the result. Over all it's not as close to "white" as the first take, but it pretty much retained detail at all levels. I'd be very interested in hearing what others think.
View attachment 39698
Now I need to see about rotating that church to get the proper shadows :scratch:
 
Rick, I like this second shot better. Takes some perseverance to keep at it. Something I need to learn myself.
 
Rick, it's both more subtle and richer at the same time.

As for the shadows, it'll take a bit of geometry to figure out where the sun needs to be to cast that shadow, and then using the "photographer's ephemeris" (The Photographer's Ephemeris) to find out which days give you that angle. A bit of work, but do-able. Then you need to hope for a clear day to get the shadow - unfortunately, there's no app for that.
 
Rick, I like this second shot better. Takes some perseverance to keep at it. Something I need to learn myself.

I need to nip a bad habit early in this digital venture. That habit is, it's very easy to get sloppy in digital. Sit on the chair, push buttons, slide sliders...blame...good enough, right?...WRONG! Many times I would spend evenings working on a single print in the DR. Now I comment on taking 2 hrs. It used to take that long just to get set up :lol:. I need to slow down, put the magic wand away and do it right.
Rick, it's both more subtle and richer at the same time.

As for the shadows, it'll take a bit of geometry to figure out where the sun needs to be to cast that shadow, and then using the "photographer's ephemeris" (The Photographer's Ephemeris) to find out which days give you that angle. A bit of work, but do-able. Then you need to hope for a clear day to get the shadow - unfortunately, there's no app for that.
Thanks for the comment. The shadows? Either all that math or grab a book and a sandwich and camp out in the parking lot. This afternoon I may do just that to see how that sun passes. Maybe I'll get lucky
 
There were a lot of nice elements in this shot but there were a few elements that bothered my sense of balance. I am a true Libra in that sense. Your keystoning was significantly off both horizontally and vertically. I didn't like that you cut off the bottom of the doorway so tightly so I gave it some breathing room and I touched on getting back some of the rich texture of the wood slats in the alcove, and gave a bit more texture back to the brick - oh, and bounced the shadows about here and there.

$8582195269_7eb37a202d_b.webp
 
Love the second edit Rick, nice job
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom