Church Doors

Thanks CB. Heading out, but I 'll catch up to you later

Rick, it's both more subtle and richer at the same time.

As for the shadows, it'll take a bit of geometry to figure out where the sun needs to be to cast that shadow, and then using the "photographer's ephemeris" (The Photographer's Ephemeris) to find out which days give you that angle. A bit of work, but do-able. Then you need to hope for a clear day to get the shadow - unfortunately, there's no app for that.

That seems like work. Why not just bring a bunch of friends and rotate the church. Can't be that hard. :)

The 2nd shot turned out great. Interesting that the doorway stays white.

There were a lot of nice elements in this shot but there were a few elements that bothered my sense of balance. I am a true Libra in that sense. Your keystoning was significantly off both horizontally and vertically. I didn't like that you cut off the bottom of the doorway so tightly so I gave it some breathing room and I touched on getting back some of the rich texture of the wood slats in the alcove, and gave a bit more texture back to the brick - oh, and bounced the shadows about here and there.

View attachment 39721

Hey CB, thanks for the tune up. I thought I had that door squared up, but I do see the difference.
The bottom of the frame? The actual step is butted up against a asphalt ramp coming off the parking lot. Not very photogenic

I know I'm in a minority here, but I felt the first one was pretty cool. The negative space enhanced the door and darkening it just makes it...a door picture. But without the walls being darkened, it becomes a geometric illustration ala Ansel Adams or Lucien Herve. Perfection is boring as hell. Get the lines square and enjoy the uniqueness of this image.

Thanks Lou!
It's always nice to hear an opposing point of view...especially when you're favoring my OP Cheers! :cheers:

Most reactions

Back