Cinestill DF96 weird grain issue.

darry85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I just got the new Cinestill DF96 monobath to try out and developed a test roll of tri x and everything came out good. I pushed the 400 speed film to 1600 using their instructions of 90 degrees at 6 minutes.

I scanned my negatives in and there's a weird grain pattern I've never seen on black and white images before. I'm not sure if it's my scanner or the monobath. I looked at other people's DF96 images and they didn't have this issue. I scanned the negs twice with the same result.

I hope you can see it. Is that normal? It doesn't look like normal grain, but little hash marks or something. I'm really new at this.

Thanks..

It looks like reticulation...not grain, but reticulation, which can be/is caused by temperature extremes. A good example is getting the film warm/hot in the post-development rinse cycle...this can make the emulsion very soft and pliable....then, when cool/cold water is introduced, BOOM, the warm,swelled emulsion shrinks/contracts, and makes the reticulation pattern. Reticulation can ALSO be caused, I have recently learned from TPF and @webestang64, from extreme temperature swings, such as when film is left in a car glove box, or in a car in temperature extremes, for a somewhat long time frame.

I second Derrel and think that is reticulation. Have I read your post right and you developed at 90°? Even with Fahrenheit that is hot. If that was followed by cold rinse water then reticulation is going g to be very likely. You need all your liquids, including rinse water, to be close in temperature.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

It is reticulation as Derrel pointed out. The causes are as he explained. I recently experienced that as well in B & W film that was poorly kept but properly developed. I recently did a test roll of fresh film and purposely developed it in a poor manner as Derrel described, hot and cold temps, it did this exact thing. So the two causes are verified.

Now, you are using a relatively new monobath product, that could also be an issue. I have read somewhere that the monobath and TriX are not a good combo but I can't find it, maybe it was a YouTube video on the product. Can't recall but I know it because I shoot mainly TriX and when I heard or read that, I decided to skip on trying the product.

Last edited:
Side note.............Your rinse water and Photo-Flo must be at 90 degrees as well.

Thanks everyone. I was more careful with my rinsing temps and i have a roll drying so we shall see.

Would be interest in some pics developed in that monobath as I have some coming my way.

As a newbie to film developing, I also bought the DF96. My very first roll was perfect. Shot on an old Yashica, TriX 400, and "carefully" followed the instructions. Worked like a charm. My next two rolls, although, came out exactly as shown in the start of this thread. Complete reticulation. My own fault, as I got a little to cocky I guess with a quick monobath at 80 degrees, then a normal old cool water rinse. Boom. Live (and read), and learn. :)

I really appreciate finding this thread though. So thank you! I was at a crossroads thinking (a) could this be from the '69 Yashica I was using? (b) could this be my lack of developement skills? or (c) could this be my scanner.

Well the Camera is fine. The scanner is 2 days old.

I think I've clearly learned my problem here. Slow down, watch my temps, and enjoy the process.

Thanks guys!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 410

Most reactions

Back