What's new

Civil War Re-Enactment at New Market, VA

JoeW1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 17, 2013
Messages
2,199
Reaction score
1,140
Location
Northern Virginia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are the first set of edits from a Civil War re-enactment at New Market, VA. Not one of the biggest I've been to but it was good ground to shoot on. And the weather was great for something like this. Now...only about 300 more files to review....


$NM-3.webp$NM-4.webp$NM-6.webp$NM-8.webp$NM-10.webp
 
The last one with the cannon is awesome.
 
I like the set but the first two lack sharp focus.
 
Thanks for the comments folks. It was actually a very windy day so the smoke from the gunpowder kept blowing away from the battlefield...made it easier to see from the spectators' perspective but less effective photos (I was really hoping to capture on where in the swirling mass of smoke, one of the battle flags emerged. Also, talk about a missed opportunity....one artillery piece fired and put out a perfect "O" smoke ring. Couldn't get my camera up and focused quickly enough to capture it with the wind dissipating it.
 
why didn't you try to capture more of the horse and scene in #2, 3?
 
why didn't you try to capture more of the horse and scene in #2, 3?

I appreciate the tips. I was deliberately trying to go for a limited DoF with the shots in #1 and #2. Plus, that in particular instance, the rider/bugler came right over to the spectator rope so I wasn't able to capture the entire horse without getting 7-10 people wearing tank tops and jeans in the photo as well. But yeah, those are good tips and I may post some more examples a bit later.
 
OMG Lew....we must have been standing within 10-15 feet of each other!

$NM-107BW.webp

I shot this about 2 seconds before your shot. While I like the officer's hand up on the far right in your version, I dislike the horse's rump. Nice work and I hope you enjoyed the re-enactment.

And...for Maria (who wanted to see more of "the horse"....here 'ya go!)

$NM-112.webp
 
In these re-enactments, are you allowed to change the ending?
 
Hah--Lew--didn't realize that. Thanks.

Pgriz--actually, for longer re-enactments (and this was one of them), they usually have a day where opposing commanders are allowed to "war-game" and deviate from the original battle scenario...to use the ground differently, change the tactics, and use their own wisdom and insights.
 
Awesome set of photos!! Great work :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom