Cleaning 1920's negatives and 50 year old slides

I still have negatives and trans from the 30's and they are in great shape. Also some really old ones that we think are from the 1890's, they are tin. Don't let anyone scare you that they are going to disappear. Just take it slow and try not to wet them unless there is nothing else that will help. Usually cleaning what is on the surface that can be removed with a soft brush and canned air (be careful with the air, there are chemicals in it that can spot your negs), then scanning and using PS. Make several copies and update them often. Store your newly cleaned negs and trans in archival sleeves and boxes to keep them out of the light. Also, keep them in a cool place. I have mine stored in sleeves and boxes under the bed. I pull them out every once in a while and check them. If you do need to clean them more than air and a bruch, use photoflo before any negative cleaner, the negs are porous and the neg cleaner can cause problems. Also, the film base was was changed to cellulose diacetate in 1923 with the introduction of safety film. Movie film and end runs of 35mm movie film that was sold as 35mm still film still had a cellulose nitrate base until the 50's. Take a look at the negs and if they say safety film you are fine. Good luck!

I'm not sure about the camel-hair brush, Terri. I think that's what I've always heard... but I could be mistaken.

As far as canned air goes... I'd really recommend going with an air compressor. The media have already been exposed to air, so more air shouldn't hurt them... Just make sure you keep a watch on the pressure. But, there "shouldn't" be any problem with the canned air. It couldn't hurt to read the warning labels before you use it, though.

Oh, and with a compressor, make sure you blow quite a bit of air through it before you start dusting. I've seen considerable water come out of compressors before. Condensation. I shudder to think what might happen with droplets of water blasting the emusion along with high-pressure air. Normally, several seconds is enough to get it all out... when you don't see any water droplets, you're fine.

Most reactions

Back