Cleaning dust off the sensor

tvphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a safe way to manually clean dust off the sensor in a Canon 5d that has no automatic system for this?

Thnaks.

There are plenty of ways. Try a search of the forum for 'Sensor Cleaning'. If that doesn't give you enough info, just Google it.

I use a bulb blower to blow the dust off (camera facing down). If that doesn't get it, then I use a sensor swab with cleaning fluid.

Thanks, Mike. That was just the review I needed. It seems that regardless of the built-in pizoelectric devices and other methods for getting most dust off the sensor filter, all the articles suggest that a hand-cleaning method is necessary in addition.

That removes one of the biggest hurdles I had to buying the 5D.

VisibleDust - get a bundled product specific to your sensor. I can't praise it enough. I use it on my Canon 5D and my Leica M8.

That removes one of the biggest hurdles I had to buying the 5D.

With my 5D I had more dirt on the sensor during the first 2 or 3000 exposures, then it got considerably less (-> less cleaning needed). I suppose at least my copy had some shutter abrasion or oil which is gone now. In the beginning I had to clean after every 3 to 4 shooting days, now it is once a month or much less.

Thanks, gentlemen, interesting video on sensor cleaning, actually with the 5D. Appreciate the suggestions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back