clear eyes that stand out

Elly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hiya. I've looked at portrait photos made by canon and nikon cameras and many times the nikon portraits make the eyes look more sharp and stand out more than the canons. why is this? my friend said it is because of better autofocusing or lenses with more contrast. Is this true? has anyone else noticed this on both cameras?

Well without knowing what you are comparing it to it could be for several reasons. Canon and Nikon DSLR camera will always produce sharper images compared to a point and shoot. Also it depends on what kind of lens you are using. If you have a $10,000 camera with a $100 lens you just are not going to get a wonder image.

I am willing to bet it has more to do with Photoshop and Post Processing than Nikon or Canon.

I have seen sharp photos from both. But if it was a difference between them, Nikon would be better just because.......

Elly, not to come of as a complete @$$____ but by your friend saying this means he/she doesn't seem to know much about this topic. Both Nikon and Canon bodies and glass can give you result you're looking for IF you know how to #1 shoot it and #2 post process it.
I always compare Nikon and Canon to ice cream, Nikon is my chocolate, b/c I LOVE chocolate, while Canon is my vanilla. I rather have chocolate but when it isn't around, I'll take vanilla. Again, both brands GIVE outstanding results.

i was looking a lot through flickr and looking at slrs with the same lenses. I just wondered why i noticed that eyes seemed to be more noticable and detailed and stand out with nikon more than canon usually? here is an example of one with nikon :::Ania O::: on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i was looking a lot through flickr and looking at slrs with the same lenses. I just wondered why i noticed that eyes seemed to be more noticable and detailed and stand out with nikon more than canon usually? here is an example of one with nikon :::Ania O::: on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Because the photographer uses photo shop or some other software to retouch thier photos.

That is not what the image looked like straight out of camera.

that image has been processed. The only way you could even begin to make that argument is if you take the same photo with both a Nikon and a Canon and post the SOOC version.

but i could not find ones with canon using the same settings.i did look a lot. most of them are not as clear with the eyes as this. but i saw quite a lot of nikon pictures like this. canon can use software too?can you find me one?thank you if you can.

Seriously dude...you have no idea what you're talking about. I'd say that 99% of the good shots you see are processed. PP software is completely independent of the camera.

BTW...how do you know the settings for that photo? The EXIF data is stripped and no where in the comments does it mention the settings.

i dont know lots about photography thats why i asked a question about what i see when i look at the photos. in flickr you click on the button that says more properties to see the details

in flickr you click on the button that says more properties to see the details

aha...thanks for the info =)

Hehe.

I feel kind of funny posting this as it's my first post on the entire forum - just joined today.

But well, you asked for a Canon photo with eyes that stand out - so here you go. (taken with Canon :p)

4006107019_a00ab98c23.jpg

Also, a lot to do with whether the eyes stand out actually has 80% to do with the person's natural eye color. Blue and green eyes with a large array of dynamic coloring makes eyes pop out and show all the detail of their eye. Whereas, a person with dark brown eyes, not so much - the detail isn't there, so the "pop" isn't, either.

Not saying you can't make dark eyes pop, but a set of dark brown eyes will never pop as much as a set of light blue or green ones (at least, not without lightening the dark brown eyes to a lighter brown).

I can guarantee you - 100% of the photos you see where the eyes really "POP" (including the one I posted above) have been enhanced in photoshop.

I hope this isn't a bad first post to have made ;)

Edited to add - eyes "popping", other than the dynamic range of color in the eye itself, has a LOT to do with catchlights, as well. They are what makes an eye appear lively and sparkly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back