Client from 5 years ago.

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by greggphoto, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Gavjenks

Gavjenks TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The story in the OP does not make it clear whether he just casually mentioned that he'd make an album AFTER having been paid, or whether that was like, part of the deal for the amount paid.

If part of what they paid was for the album and knew that when deciding on an amount, then you are under contract, and simply walking away would basically be theft. I would choose one of three options:
    1) Give them the album they paid for. If it costs more than you charged then that's your fault for charging less than your costs (which can't possibly be higher now than before. Inflation doesn't count since you could have been earning interest on the money).
    2) Reimburse them what they paid for the album, or the whole amount if it's unclear how much was for that.
    3) Given them the option of paying your current rates or being reimbursed as in #2.
    ^
    All 3 are fair I think, but I have listed them in ascending order of how much of a douchebag they will make you look.

If you suggested the album after they paid you / they weren't factoring that into the price, then you DON'T have a contract for the album (contracts require something of value from both parties, not one sided gifts), and I think it's fair just to try and drop the issue. It won't score you any brownie points with the family, it is technically fair. Though I would suggest against this anyway, though, for the paltry sum of $200-300 it isn't worth the reputation hit. And at the very least I would still offer one of the 3 options above anyway.

Obviously option #1 above is the best for your reputation.

2. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yup.. I can almost hear the cousin now. "We gave that jerk his start. If we hadn't let him shoot our wedding he wouldn't even be a pro photographer right now. We paid him all that money and now he's refusing to give us our pictures."

Fair? Nah, not really. Accurate? Well when was the last time anyone you ticked off bothered getting all their facts straight before they started blowing off steam? So yup, it really is in your best interest to just bite the bullet and fix this before you have a huge mess on your hands.

Like I said, me, I'd do it for them even if I knew for certain they would'nt raise a fuss about it or ever breathe a word to anyone. If I promised them a wedding album and they didn't get it, none of the rest of this stuff would matter to me personally. Family or not, special circumstances or not. To me none of that is really that is really important.

My grandfather once told me, "Son, the only thing a man has for certain in this life is his word. Everything else you can lose. Everything else can come and go. At the end of the day the only thing your sure to have is your honor. Nobody can every take it from you, and you can never lose it. All you can do is give it away."

But again.. I'm a dinosaur. A walking anachronism. So yup. my best advice to you is to spend the cash, get the album printed, and wish your cousin well.

3. pixmedic

pixmedic I am the Lord thy Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it was not family, i would say to tell them they have to pony up a little money for this...
    However, unless this is family you dislike, i would just do it for them for free, providing you arent talking about $300-$400 wedding albums.
    Just make it something simple. They waited 5 years so im guessing it isn't critically important.
    Not because you have some obligation to...
    Not because it is the "professional" thing to do...
    just because it is family.

4. Steve5D

Steve5D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's funny.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the interest earned on the money paid would not be sufficient to cover the increase in printing costs; not even close. The OP doesn't say how much he was paid, but I doubt that it was an amount to generate any significant interest, assuming he kept the money in the bank. When I get paid, that money doesn't sit in the bank for very long.

Additionally, the OP states that he e-mailed them repeatedly regarding this, and received no replies. That works strongly in his favor. The cousins are not without fault here and, in fact, it could be argued that they don't have their album due to no fault of the OP...

5. CMfromIL

CMfromIL No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

That's great Perry Mason, he can use that during his closing argument during the Thanksgiving Day "Family Court" to be judged by all the family. After all appeals are exhausted (between dinner and desert), he'll still come out looking like an ass. "Technically" he may have won the argument but realistically he'll lose the war. Is it really a hill he ought to be dying on?