Cliffs of Mohr - Ireland C&C

kric2schaam626

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of the pictures from the Cliffs of Mohr. I know the sky is overexposed - let me guess, white balance?

Haha, anyway, any other C&C is grandly appreciated!

DSC_05951.jpg

I really like this! I like the colors and the exposure seems good on the cliffs. The sky, more specifically the clouds, as you pointed out is overexposed. If it were me, I might try cropping off some of the sky to bring the cliffs a little higher? Just a thought since that, and the water, is what interests me the most...

I'm thinking this might have been a good opportunity for one of those...oh, what are they called...:scratch: Ahh! Gradiant Neutral Density Filters. I've never actually used one, but it seems like it would apply. :???: Or I might be completely wrong...

P.S. I was just in your neck of the woods! EAA brings me there every year!

Last edited:
I really like this! I like the colors and the exposure seems good on the cliffs. The sky, more specifically the clouds, as you pointed out is overexposed. If it were me, I might try cropping off some of the sky to bring the cliffs a little higher? Just a thought since that, and the water, is what interests me the most...

I'm thinking this might have been a good opportunity for one of those...oh, what are they called...:scratch: Ahh! Gradiant Neutral Density Filters. I've never actually used one, but it seems like it would apply. :???: Or I might be completely wrong...

P.S. I was just in your neck of the woods! EAA brings me there every year!

Thanks for the comment!

BA! EAA?!?! I hate it! Planes flying up in my grill! lol. Hope you liked it this year :)

Your WB has nothing to do with this shot, auto would be fine, WB adjustment is to aid tricky lighting situations which is why the settings are labeled accordingly, with film it was important to use correction filters for differing mixed light types, similarly with digital, though now the computer in camera will apply a certain hue/colour to combat the colours other light sources produce. Our eyes/brain automatically compensates for light levels, our cameras and meters though need help, till you understand what it is your looking at then you'll take snapshots, once aware of the scene and can compensate accordingly your photography will be vastly improved. H

I think they're called Cliffs of Moher, with an e between the h and the r. I've never been, though I'd have loved to see that western part of Ireland for once. Maybe at another time...

What I'm not too fond of in this very photo is the clear division into two equal parts: top half sky, bottom half cliffs. Particularly in this kind of landscape photography, the "rule" of thirds has always, and invariably proved to be the better choice. Top third one thing (say: sky in this case), bottom two thirds cliffs.

Was there a lot of spray in the air or why do the cliffs lack sooo much detail?

I think they're called Cliffs of Moher, with an e between the h and the r. I've never been, though I'd have loved to see that western part of Ireland for once. Maybe at another time...

What I'm not too fond of in this very photo is the clear division into two equal parts: top half sky, bottom half cliffs. Particularly in this kind of landscape photography, the "rule" of thirds has always, and invariably proved to be the better choice. Top third one thing (say: sky in this case), bottom two thirds cliffs.

Was there a lot of spray in the air or why do the cliffs lack sooo much detail?

Ok, spelling error.

And yes, I'm still learning rule of thirds. I'll keep it mind next time I happen to be in Ireland :lol:

And as far as clarity, I don't remember there being a lot of spray, there could have been because it was really windy, but I'm not sure. Any way to fix that or do something different next time?

Nice shot. Something as simple as a polarizer filter would probably have went a long way here with darkening the sky and cutting some haze. Gradiated ND would work but are expensive for good ones. Maybe just bracket exposures for an HDR next time. Also, do you use a lens hood?

Did you check your camera settings before you took the shot, because your settings were miles off what they should have been
ISO 800, 1/4000, F5, spot metering, those settings are crazy for a landscape

Did you check your camera settings before you took the shot, because your settings were miles off what they should have been
ISO 800, 1/4000, F5, spot metering, those settings are crazy for a landscape

Wouldn't that high of an ISO made it look grainy?

Nice shot. Something as simple as a polarizer filter would probably have went a long way here with darkening the sky and cutting some haze. Gradiated ND would work but are expensive for good ones. Maybe just bracket exposures for an HDR next time. Also, do you use a lens hood?

What's "gradiated ND"? and I don't exactly know how bracket exposures for HDR work . . . I love seeing HDR shots but I haven't quite figured out how to get them.

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D80_noprint.pdf

Check out pages 56 & 57. It explains how to bracket. What you want to use is "AE" bracketing, which stands for "automatic exposure" bracketing. What this means, is that you set your camera to the ideal settings (have your exposure meter to the center of the line on the top display), and then choose for example a 5 shot bracket sequence. This will then take your shot at the settings you set, call it "0," and then a +1, a +2, a -1, and -2 shot. (Most people use incriments of one for auto bracket sequences).

I hope this helped!

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D80_noprint.pdf

Check out pages 56 & 57. It explains how to bracket. What you want to use is "AE" bracketing, which stands for "automatic exposure" bracketing. What this means, is that you set your camera to the ideal settings (have your exposure meter to the center of the line on the top display), and then choose for example a 5 shot bracket sequence. This will then take your shot at the settings you set, call it "0," and then a +1, a +2, a -1, and -2 shot. (Most people use incriments of one for auto bracket sequences).

I hope this helped!

Awesome thank you, I will practice it on my next outing, which will be in Chicago. Anyone know of any great places to get some good shots? I know the Bean is a famous one.

I tried to tonemap that image, and it turns out that it is actually kind of oof, and although it looks nice, editing it is rather tough. But goodluck! HDR is alot of fun

This would be a good shot for HDR. If you had the RAW file, I could have made it much better but here's a shot. It's a little noisy. See if you like?

hdredyou.jpg

Most reactions

Back